WARNING - 19" Wheels on Highlander, etc.

After putting on 20,000 miles of suburban and highway riding, our tires are about done on the 2008 Highlander Limited...

No unusual wear and the alignment is fine...

But we are finding it VERY hard to come across acceptable replacement tires. All the local discount places don't carry the unique 19" size and online is possible, but with no guarantees of quality other than the ratings.

We know for sure we will not go with the stock brand... We want to try and get a bit better mileage this next time.

So... The warning is that if you have a Highlander or "other" with 19" rims, start looking for tires early and make sure that you know what it is that you are getting into.

We tried very hard to convince the dealer to give us the smaller tires off the sport and give our fancy rims to the next sport customer as a free upgrade but failed to convince them that it would be a good deal for them... Maybe they were hoping I would return to them for tires I guess.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

"Joe AutoDrill" found these unused words:

Ummmm, you could always REPLACE the rims to get good available tire selection and then put the 'fancy' up for sale on ebunko or craig's list ...

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

There are reports on the internet saying teh brake calipers are different from the Sport to the Limited (17/18" to the 19") and thus the smaller rims are not simply transferable.

I don't necessarily believe it, but have no way of confirming it either.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

The Toyota parts catalog does not indicate any difference in the brakes based on the sport model (compared to standard model).

See

Patrts information from Rock Auto supports the conclsuion that the SPort and Standard models use the same brakes.

I hate the mania for big shiny wheels. They ruin the ride, they are easily damaged, they provide an excuse for tire manufacturers to jack up the price of replacement tires.....

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I'm going to have to look into that... The tires and wheels are decently sized, but this whole issue of finding replacements is a nightmare.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

"Joe AutoDrill" found these unused words:

That would presume that you also replaced the inner hub. I don't think the brakes are on the -=removable=- wheel rims!

Surely any rim that fits the hole pattern properly could be mounted?

As to what the new owner may choose to do ...

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

I have to laugh (or cringe) every time I see these expensive big wheels with low profile tires on 4wd vehicles. They're absolute crap in snow or mud.

Reply to
studio

Here in the civilized world (NJ), we have very little need for tires that are excellent in snow and mud... Maybe two or three times a year does it matter that the tread is agressive enough. Ride quality on the highways and back roads is more important.

Now... This big rim thing is crazy and I think we can agree on that. Stupidity at the "look what I've got!" level.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

"Joe AutoDrill" found these unused words:

New Joisey ... Civilized ???

Been up above my ar..e in snow there [central/northern]. Even military trucks had tough going.

Now the southern ...

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

Thursday in Santa Fe I saw some clown driving down the road in a vehicle with wheels too large and too wide to fit between the painted lines on the road. The vehicle had to swerve to avoid traffic to the left and right of it.

I am utterly baffled over why someone would do that. Perhaps the owner is unhappy with his penis and he wants everyone to know it.

Where I live and drive (the Jicarilla Apache Reservation and the Navajo Reservation), everyone who can afford mud tires will buy them. Many thousands of people live at the ends of red dirt roads (the best ones are called "light duty roads" and the worse are called "primitive") which are impassible many times of the year, winter and summer. City Slickers don't believe us when we tell them they cannot go home until the roads dry out: several of our guests tried to leave anyhow, and came walking back on foot.

Mud tires = GOOD THINGS TO HAVE when needed. These clowns driving around in shiny new pickups in the cities that never touch a dirt road that have large wide mud tires on their vehicles.... what the hell could they be thinking?

Reply to
Desertphile

Hey Desertphile! I think we talked about the oil bearing shale that turns into axle grease when it gets wet. A lot of that around Dulce. The Jicarillas back in the '70s for the most part didn't have 4X4s. They just had 3/4 ton PUs with two extra wheels with old mud tires on them. The tires had chains that had extra crosslinks made from logging chains that were put on loose. When they were caught out in the rain they just put those extra wheels on the rear and went about their business. You could see them coming for quite aways because of the big divots of mud that was thrown up in the air.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

That's where I live...good old corrupt New Jersey.

Where I park in the winter, when there's enough snow, no 2 wheel drives can go. I've tried, I know. Let's not forget the time they shut down the state because of snow and wouldn't allow anyone on the road that didn't have 4wd. Albeit, that's not the norm, the norm is usually bad enough though.

You generally don't buy a truck in the first place for "ride quality". But if you do, you'd buy a 2wd, and then maybe one with a positraction (or equivalent) rear drive. You can buy good all terrain tires that are good in snow and mud that also give a good highway ride. You have to look at the tire ratings though to get a good determination. Forget any extremes unless that's what you really need.

Every time I see one of those 4wd with the big wheels and low profile tires, I immediately know they have no experience with trucks. It's all about looks, and what's worse, that doesn't even look good.

Reply to
studio

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in news:pmlIm.2043$gg6.139 @newsfe25.iad:

Charly Coughran

That's the price you pay for trying to be different.

Reply to
Rastamon

I hadn't realized until just now that *I* was the one trying to be different. However it seems obvious that this must be true since I am the one that is going to pay the price. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

My cousin has a 08 Camry. He put on 20" rims with 35 series tires. His front suspension paid the price, it was still under factory warranty, so it was covered. Now he's looking for a rim closer to the stock size. Go Figure!

Reply to
Rastamon