Yard of gravel in a Tundra?

Any reason my '06 Access Cab couldn't take a whole yard of gravel? Don't want to break a shock or anything... standard suspension, V8, LS rear differential, BFG AT's.

Quick answers appreciated!

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff

A yard of gravel weighs ~ 2800 pounds. Add driver,passenger, and fuel weight (gas weighs ~ 6 lbs./gal), look up the total payload listed in your manual, and decide for yourself.

BTW, shocks don't hold the truck up.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks you guys. I hooked up my trailer and did a half-yard in the trailer and another half in the truck. Worked out fine. I need to do it again tomorrow... nothing like flat land in Oregon...

Should I admit that I hauled many a WHOLE yard in my ol' faithful '86 Nissan 4-banger before she finally gave up the ghost at almost 200K? (Blown head gasket, wife kept driving) Anyway, I'm trying to be gentler to this truck, since it's sort of a gentleman's truck anyway...

-jeff

B A R R Y wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

'scuse the top post, folks.

The most I've hauled in my 95 Tacoma was a 2,200 lb "Little Giant" power hammer. I'd found out only after the fact how heavy the doggone thing was.

I managed this with no permanent damage - but as a general rule I can't recommend exceeding the GVWR by a factor of three in practice. It's not so much what suspension components might break, as difficulty in stopping, instability in curves which could lead to roll overs, tire blow outs and etc.

Reply to
Mike Harris

As an update, the cargo capacity for a Tundra is a little over 2000 lbs...

Thanks for the help, guys!

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Including you, passengers, fuel and aftermarket accessories, like caps and bedliners, not just what's in the bed.

I've overloaded the crap out of trucks, but luckily never had to make a panic stop or maneuver. When I was young and stupid, I towed a 300ZX on a tandem trailer, with a four banger 4x2 Toyota "Pickup", using the bumper hitch. The trailer would push the truck right through stop signs, if I didn't plan far enough ahead!

Reply to
B A R R Y

I saw my father inlaw haul 7000 lbs of gravel twice in a stock 3/4 ton jeep P/U in the early 80's for lane repair on his farm. Hauled it 20 miles too. (I would have never tried it) It did not hurt it because I still have truck today and it is still striaght. The orignal poster was wise to split load between truck and trailer as it is better to be safe than sorry.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

YARD is a measure of volume, the limitation on your Tundra is WEIGHT. Surely a yard of gravel weighs far too much for your Tundra.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was in traffic court yesterday (11/21), and one of the people in front of the judge before me was a kid that slid through a stop sign while pulling a trailer. I shit you not, this guy wanted to use his boat and trailer as defense for his stop sign violation.

The judge was not moved.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

But the truck was! Just like mine!

Reply to
Bonehenge

Yeah, 27 cubic feet.

A tundra hauls 1/2 yard nicely; a little low in the back but that's to be expected with over 1000 lbs back there! I don't think I'd do a yard. In fact, as much of a pain as it is to get it OUT of the Tundra compared to my utility trailer I may just get 1/2 yard at a time.

The grooves in the bed, like any truck has, make it a real pain to get it all out and the cleanup is a pain. I suppose a guy could make a plywood bottom for the bed that had cutouts for the wheelwells... still a pain.

I never used to bother to clean the bed on my old Nissan beater, and the small gravel and dust eventually forms a concrete-like substance that is almost impossible to get out of the grooves.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, what weighs more, a yard of gravel or a yard of feathers?

Weight is the determining factor when hauling heavy stuff, volume is the measurement for light stuff. As a practical matter, I can't think of anything that would exceed the half-yard limitation and not exceed the weight limitation. but, it is easy to find stuff that exceeds the weight limits and doesn't come close to stretching the volume limits.

Get a trailer with good brakes and haul your gravel.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

YARD is where I park my Tundra, WEIGHT is how much I haul....The most I have ever burdened my Tundra with is a pallet of refrigerant.... 40 cans to a pallet each can is approximately 38 lbs, plus the weight of the pallet itself. Thats around 1600 lbs. I have no desire to put any more weight that that in *MY* Tundra, but you can do what you want with yours.

Reply to
Noon-Air

While yards are volume, some things are sold by the yard . You need to know how much a yard of material weighs. If you think of a yard of cement weighs about 4000 lb, then a yard of most anything else will weigh less. Wood is often sold by the board foot. I doubt that anyone would ask for 100 lb of wood.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

You are telling me -- who already said that volume and weight are not related -- that one must know the weight of the load one wishes to carry.

It is not important how stuff is sold when wanting to figure out if it fits in the truck. It matters how much it weighs if it is heavy, and how big it is if it is light. Two yards of feathers might fit the weight limit, but is surely too large to fit in the truck.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

and a couple of yards of beer make for several pit stops

Reply to
Noon-Air

I've been known to leave beer in the yard, if you know what I mean, but I've not seen "yards of beer." I measure my beer by the 36-pack, so leaving a sixer or two in the yard is not uncommon.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Take a look at the following link:

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

I've seen that before. It should fit in a Tundra without too much trouble ;-)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was about to comment that this thread had turned into the usual pi**ing contest, but now I don't have to... :>))

Reply to
TOM