Best Rated threads in Volkswagen, hot (Aircooled)show all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Blasting Cabinet for hobby use
I've been looking for an inexpensive cabinet to use for small parts (up to shroud sized stuff) for use in my barn/shop. I already have this pressure blaster for outside use and my compressor will keep...
10
10

Should I Add a Zinc Oil Additive?
I was reading on this group about zinc being removed from today's motor oil. ...something about that this causes wear in pre-1989 engines with flat lifters. I usually use Castrol 30HD in Spring and...
11
11

Valve Train Geometry
It must be winter... somewhere :-) I've noticed that I get more questions about engine-building during the cold months, along with comments such as '...not driving the bug now that WINTER is here.'...

HVX Mods & Oil Cooling
Dear Buglover, Yes.=A0 The idea of using #4 as a restrictor to increase either flow or pressure has merit.=A0 But I do NOT think the purpose was to improve oiling of the main bearings.=A0 As you know,...
2
2

carb, its time 34 pict 3
ok, I've got by with old leaky ebay special garage sale german originals for too long, but now its time to upgrade to "brand new". What is everybodies experience with the ones available? Are they...
1
1

Handling of VW Beetle at freeway high speeds problem
The last bug (1974 super)I owned back in the 1980's handled like a dream. I bought it from a guy who really wanted a Porche, he did everything buy put a porche engine in it.
34
34

How can I improve handing on my 69 Karmann Ghia?
the tire manufacturers do know what their tires can take...that's why they list the max pressure and max weight on the side... the optimum pressure is based on many factors, which is why the vehicle...
14
14

removing woodruff key from crankshaft
I got the camshaft gear off. So how do I take the key off w/o damage?
2
2

Torque Converter Bridge Clutch
I have a 1997 Eurovan Camper with 130K miles on it. I'm road tripping and have been dealing with check engine light issues most of the month. This time, the engine light comes on and goes off, it's...
2
2

online rear torsion bar, ride height calculator?
Hi, I need to set my rear ride height in a `73 Super (IRS). Is it 19 splines on the inner and 21 on the outer? What's the method for setting ride height? 1 spline moved counter on the inner and one...
1
1

Stumbling, Stuttering, Slow Starting!
For the past few months I have noticed that my little 68' Bug has had a hard time starting. Not initially (which is odd), but after a long drive - and by long drive I mean a couple of hours - I have a...
13
13

1974 Sun Bug, whats it worth?
Hi all. Been a while since I've been here, mainly in lurk mode when I was. I've been offered a 74 Sun Bug (not a super )for $600. Trouble is I don't know what these things are worth anymore. I sold my...
7
7

Removing EGR on FI Bug
The system probably doesn't work. If I remove it and plug up all the openings will there be any consequences on engine performance or operation?
3
3

Looking for good VW bone yards in Southeast
I'm in NC and have about 50 or so parts cars in my own little junk yard, some of the cars are in good enough shape to fix and put back on the road. Mario
9
9

Opinions on a 1971 squareback
The Squarebacks of that era (69-72) were awesome little cars. Check for the same stuff you would on a bug--cancer under the RR seat, etc. It will probably be fuel injected. Don't let that scare you;...
3
3

34 PICT Mixture issue
Hi, I'm running a Formula Vee in Australia that uses a Solex 34 PICT-3 carby on a 1600 Engine. On the dyno, the mixtures are not looking right, basically, it is running too lean at low RPM, and rich...
6
6

Weber ICT and vacuum dizzy?
Hi, Has anyone successfully converted Weber ICT's to take a vacuum advance pipe for the dizzy. I'm trying to find a pair of small carbs that can be used on my 1600 without resorting to a 009 dizzy....
2
2

Frame Extender
Hey, I was browsing the samba classifieds the other day and came across a VW rod. It was fenderless with a large amount chopped out of the top. The ad said that there was a frame extender installed,...
3
3

Help with Kadron/Solex 40 dual carbs
We were rebuilding these carbs and when we out it back together the acceleration circuit wasn't pumping any gas out of the nozzle. When we were rebuilding them we removed the little brass cap in the...
2
2

1968 dual inlet oil bath air cleaner
Hey guys. I just picked up a 1967-8 dual inlet oil bath air cleaner at a swap meet. It doesn't have a thermostat to open/close the hot air intake. Anyone know where I can get the thermostat or does it...
5
5