Best Rated threads in Volkswagen, hot (Aircooled)show all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

New engine not running correct
I will start with the setup; Type I 1776 Engle 110 Cam 044 heads (if memory serves me correct) with 40 mm intake and 35 mm exhaust valves Stock rockers Single Weber 44 IDF (came off a dual setup) .009...
10
10

vw beetle dies on acceleration
vw beetle dies on acceleration. Installed a new carb kit. Starts ok, idles ok but no oomph. Any sugestions. Thanks
6
6

type 1 valve clearance issue
Hi, With a stock type 1 motor, will the valve lash increase or decrease as the engine heats up? I ask because on my motor, I installed new factory heads, and after the install, as the engine warmed...
14
14

1974 super beetle clicking sound when brakes applied
I have a 1974 super beetle and I noticed that when I hit the brakes at a low speed I hear clicking sound like when your cv joints are going bad. This sound goes away when I let off the brakes. I have...
1
1

Women of VW
Hi, I'm adding a special page to my web site that will feature women who drive and hopefully work on classic VW's. I'd like at least a picture of the car/bus and if possible, the driver. Know one ?...
31
31

how is btlmex?
How are they to work with, or should say were to work with?
10
10

Plunking Uni-syn atop Kadron/Solex
I just bought a swell second-hand Uni-syn from John at Aircooled (thanks, John!). In order to use it on these Kadron-Solex carburetors, I have the little matter of the air filter stud sticking up...
6
6

Fuel Tank Capacity - 71 Type 1
Want to find out how empty my fuel tank is when the fuel gauge is pointing to "R." I ran it to "R" then filled the tank up to the top (extra few slow squirts of the gas pump). Took 12.6 US gallons. I...
4
4

bent pushrod tube
ok I did it. I mangled the tube a bit when I pried out some tin. The damage is not bad at all, but it is creased and misshapen. What are the odds the engine will spew oil when I fire her up?
5
5

Beetle stalls on long drives and hot weather.
Hello, My Beetle (1641cc engine) has problems going for long trips or in hot temperature. Its summer time here in Melbourne Australia and the temperatures can reach up to 100F (37.7C) I drove to my...
46
46

True Boxer, Big Bang Boxer?
I sometimes see the term Boxer used to describe the ACVW engine. In my experience, it ain't so because a 'boxer' has the directly opposed piston traveling to and away from the crank center at the same...
1
1

Preventing main seal oil leak
I've been driving my '71 Super with the new 2276 for several days now. It drives great but leaves a puddle of oil behind. I have a filter sump installed. So I thought the leak might be from between...
8
8

34 pict-3 carb problems
72 1600 d.p.,, rebuilt my 34 pict 3, the only mods to engine is I added a "stinger" header system out under the rear,, now it runs great, except I have to push acc. pedal down really slow or it has...
15
15

Buggy slips out of 2nd and 4th
Please help my buggy slips out of 2nd and 4th. I can usually hold it in 2nd went accelerating but there is no downshifting it spits it out of gear as soon as the clutch is released. there is no way to...
3
3

Hot Crankshaft Pulley
Hi my crankshaft pulley is getting hot, a little too hot to touch when i drive aound three miles, what could be the cause?
5
5