Best Rated threads in Volkswagen, hot (Aircooled)show all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

rail frame dune buggy plans?
I have a 66 beetle with a junk body and would like to build a rail frame type "dune buggy". Does anyone know of any plans for such a thing? Or where is the best place to buy a frame? Sincerely,...

JT Garwood - The Car of the Century (2023 Update)
I've got some info on JT Garwood & his book for all of you bug fans out there. (I'm his daughter/new editor.) The original books are no longer on the market. He has completed a new & expanded edition,...
12
12

rebuilding a 36hp
Ok, new thread - same issues. I've bought & begun reading the Tom Wilson engine rebuild book and will likely by the bug-me video on engine rebuilding. However, both of those items only deal with 40 hp...
15
15

Running on only 3 cylinders (2023 Update)
Hi All, Number 2 cylinder on my '73 beetle has no compression...remaining 3 have 100+. I really need to keep it running daily ( 20 miles each way ) for a while until I can afford both the time and...
7
7

[Did it melt yet?] por 15 on brake rear brake backing plates?
[Did it melt yet?] por 15 on '71 bus brake rear brake backing plates? v I have *one coat* of por 15 on rear brake backing plates inside-and-out. Although the surface was thoroughly prepped according...
2
2

'70 Beetle 1302s misfire
First post, on behalf of someone at work so bear with me here? Car: UK 1970 Beetle 1302s - reconditioned engine (20 miles) Engine runs ok at low revs, but as when the throttle is opened it misfires...
2
2

I'm told it's called a "rabbit turds" hone . . .
I'm faced with two types of hones at my FLAPS -- the $12 wire brush w/ balls ("rabbit shit" or per Busahaulic, the science class molecule model), or the complex-looking one-size-fits-all $27 type with...
34
34

Quickie Q: Oil Cooler Foam Pads?
Is there something that a hardware-store/FLAPS might sell that can be used to replace the foam pads on the fore and aft of the doghouse-style oil cooler? Mine are shredding and I expect they perform...
5
5

'85 Vanagon *AirCooled?
'85 Vanagon *AirCooled? v I just talked to a guy in a parking lot [USA] with an 85 Vanagon with an aircooled type IV engine. I was thinking the US market went to watercooled engines in 83/84. He...
3
3

Full flow oil kit with cooler
I just bought a oil cooler kit i just have one little question about it, i am relativly new to the true mechanics of a flat 4 and just need to know where the oil pressure regulator springs go, how do...
4
4

Alternator over voltage
Hi All, I have an unusual Alternator/Regulator question. My car has an early VW alternator, with an external regulator. I was out in the car yesterday and I noticed that the volt meter was reading...
15
15

Reduction box adapters
im looking for someone to part with JSC , john johnson laydown adapters for mounting reduction boxes to a VW Baja. Any ideas where i can get them or do you have some which i can buy off you?...

Reusing spark plugs?
Hi all, Is it acceptable to reuse spark plugs? All the plugs I've used (NGK's, Bosch's) have captive crushable washers. I've been using new plugs every time I do a tune up because I can't get the old...
15
15

Karmann Ghia Restoration
Hi Folks, I bought a Karmann Ghia 67 in Brazil and I have the oportunity to restore it there. I want to have a good job done so I asked them to completely dismount the car, repare rust holes, change...
4
4

Swapping out Kadron Throttle Body
Gonna be changing out the throttle body on one of my new Kadrons to mount one that has a vacuum port on it (courtesy Anyone have any advisories, or Dummies Guides, before I start? Never taken a carb...
7
7

1303s windscreen vent adapters?
Is there any pipework / adapters available for the 1303s that would enable me to use a flexible hose connected to a seperate demister mounted under the dashboard? The existing plastic pipe connected...

Reverse gear problem im my 1302
I just bought a 1302. It has a problem with the reverse gear. When i try to reverse the car, the car reverses a bit then the reverse gear grinds with noise/jumps out/don't works..... Even when i try...
2
2

Stripped Door Hinge Screw...
I'm trying to remove my Bug's door. Most came out OK. But there's a couple that 'keep turning'. I'm guessing they are stripped. I tried putting a flat screw driver between the hinge and post to put...
3
3

IRS Stub Axle Assembly
I have removed the stub axles and bearings to refresh them with grease and just to check on their status. I bought the kits that have the seals, backing plate gaskets, flat washer and O-Rings. I have...
2
2

Paint engine tin...
Hi! I'm in middle of restoration 1600 engine. The engine tin is little rusty so I need advice whit what type of paint to use? If I use some spray color for high temperature do I need some primer paint...
8
8