Best Rated threads in Volkswagen, hot (Aircooled)show all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

1973 Super Beetle starts but stalls
Hello, I have a 1973 Super Beelte, I have replaced the carb, plugs, plug wires, distrib and strib cap. She will start and idle fine but once I take off down the road she stalls and I have to pump the...
8
8

autostick info
Ello, ... ok got a few more questions .. not relating to the VW that i am slowly working on ... this question is about the autostick tranny ... how exactly does it work? is it bascially just VW's...
5
5

Excessive fuel consumption with a Weber progressive carburettor
Hello RAMVA! I am getting lower than expected fuel consumption on my 1975 1303 (Super Beetle). It has an AR code 1300 engine that in the past someone has rebuilt into a 1600 and fitted a dual...
2
2

will a plugged heat riser cause an off idle flat spot?
I have done everything possible to fix this off idle flat spot on my stock 1200 with 28pict carb. When I mean everything, I mean replacing carb after rebuilding it twice, replacing dizzy, using an...
2
2

'61 Engine Removal Problem
We're taking the engine out of this beetle. We were able to remove okay 3 - 17mm nuts holding the engine on. We took the nuts from the 2 bottom bolts and the upper right(passenger side) bolt. Our...
9
9

Pedal cluster
Hey hey. I just recieved my "Heater channel replacement "Bug me video". I am going to bring some vw's back to life. The bug me video's show how to remove the pedal cluster for a US left hand drive,...
6
6

VW Sightings Today
While returning from a Thanksgiving trip to North Carolina and back to Pensacola ( 10.5 hrs one way ) . I passed a purple 1968 VW Sedan on I-85 just south of Atlanta, Ga and later observed a very rat...
22
22

80W90 gear oil?
Hi, I am trying to put my 1962 beetle back together and had a question regarding transaxle fluid. The manual calls for 90 weight hypoid gear oil. My father has some 80W90 in his garage, is this ok to...
2
2

heads for 73 1700 CC engine
old heads (one dropped a seat): 021 101 371 Q (air injection ports for exhaust) new heads (bought off net) 022 101 372 3 (no air injection ports) looks like everything will bolt up no problem, are...
2
2

new to VW's....Just bought a 1969 Bug.
Hi there, I'm completely VW stupid. I just bought a 1969 Beetle with a 1.5L engine. This is going to be a winter project for my wife and I. She wants a bug, always has. While I'm not new too wrenching...
12
12

Regulator voltage (12V generator system)
That sounds just fine. I agree. Your numbers are probably good. Wow, I'm stunned, but there's always a first time.... I agree. This all seems to point to a bad VR. Unless there's any chance that...
11
11

WWW.TRANSMISSIONSHACK.COM
AVOID THIS SHOP IN FRESNO CA HE IS NOT A BUSINESS PERSON OR DOES NOT LIVE UP TO HIS AGREEMENT'S ON HIS WARRANTY HE IS A JERK AND AVOIDS YOUR PHONE CALL'S YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE ALSO...
3
3

4 Barrel
Anybody use a 4 BBL carb on their bug. Johnnie's 4-Play (listed in the back of Hot VWs) lists a 4 BBL manifold with 600 CFM Eldebrock carb for $600. Cheaper than Webers and should be a whole lot...
2
2

help -- problem with 2005 Passat TDI
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I have a 2005 Passat TDI with Auto Trans that's only 2 months old. It's been running fine till about 3 days ago. I noticed a pattern. After work I'd drive...
4
4

Clutch Cable Stuck in the middle After Bowden Tube
Hi, I was driving my bug then the clutch pedal hit the floor, so i thought the cable broke, so i bought a new cable, I took out the pedal assembly then it turned out the clutch shaft Hook thing broke,...
20
20

Red Line (not oil)
A quick question for the group, What is the red line for the 1600 engine(1971). My bug has an aftermarket tach with an adjustable pointer. Glenn
7
7

Wiper Squeak
Problems are like jello: you push down in one area and stuff squirts out another. A few weeks ago I posted a method to add intermittent (delay) operation to wipers. It's been drizzly here in San Diego...
6
6

1600 DP Gasket sealer
Hello people, I have a vacuum leak where my manifolds ontact the heads. Is there any type of sealer that I should apply between the gasket/head/and manifold surfaces? Thanks Eric 68 Bug cab 62 Ghia...
1
1

best make of pistons and heads; 1600cc vs 1641cc
Hi, I will be replacing the heads and pistons on my bug; I was wondering what piston make is preferred for a 1600cc standard engine. Mahle seems to be popular any comments? Regardless of what pistons...
6
6

Yet another case ID question
I have read the Haynes manual, read Muir's book, cracked the case and cleaned it and still can not figure out what engine I have inherited. (I cracked the case because when I drained the oil, water...
6
6