vw engine air compressor

I had a link for this years ago, but cant find it. Anyone got it handy ?

it was a bug engine that ran on 2 barrels one side, and the other side was used as a high output air compressor.

TIA

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Used to be called "Volks-Air". Now "Dunn Right"

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Actually, it was probably configured with two OPPOSED cylinders to provide power, the other pair to act as the air pump.

As a point of interest, people have been doing his type of conversion since before the First World War. In 2000 I posted a message to this Newsgroup explaining how to convert a running VW engine into a two- cylinder air compressor without having to dismantle the engine. (Search this Newsgroup using 'veeduber air-compressor' as your seed.) But it assumes you already know the basics of air compressors. What Dunn-Right offers is a complete kit of all the bits & pieces.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Plus, as I understand it, a special cam that makes it work more efficiently.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

The method I described disables the valves for the cylinders that are used to pump air, allowing them to pump on each stroke.

Convincing a couple of jugs of any OHV engine to pump air is a fairly trivial chore for those who know their onions. For everyone else, the Dunn-Right kit is a very practical option.

-R.S.Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

I searched for 'vedubber air-compressor' and got a thread from Jun 29 2000, but the thread did not provide the "how to's".

Your post on 1 Sept 2001 did, however, go into details. Title of thread was "Experience with Air Compressor Conversion". KWW

Kirk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- | | Actually, it was probably configured with two OPPOSED cylinders to | provide power, the other pair to act as the air pump. | | As a point of interest, people have been doing his type of conversion | since before the First World War. In 2000 I posted a message to this | Newsgroup explaining how to convert a running VW engine into a two- | cylinder air compressor without having to dismantle the engine. | (Search this Newsgroup using 'veeduber air-compressor' as your seed.) | But it assumes you already know the basics of air compressors. What | Dunn-Right offers is a complete kit of all the bits & pieces. | | -Bob Hoover

My grand father had an adaptor for the Model T that would provide compressed air by removing one of the spark plugs. Only draw back the air had a lot of gas fumes.

Reply to
NotMe

I still have that tool sold by JCWhitney that allowed you to do that. Gee now I do feel old! lol

Now you scare me if I ever use that air to pump up a tire! 8^o I think it was redesigned and the compression from the engine allowed this pump to draw fresh air and then pressurize it. At least that is what I believe!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The typical 'spark plug' compressor was a captive, spring-loaded piston in a brass cylinder that screwed in to the spark plug hole. The engine's compression stroke powered the device to pump ambient air, not the charge from the cylinder. The instructions said to give it a drop of oil before screwing it into place but little if any of that oil found its way into the output.

I've heard several people say the things used air from the engine so there may have been some that simply diverted the fuel/air charge into a tire, but none of the ones I've ever seen or used worked like that. And they DO work rather well. Displacement was typically one cubic inch so the output was about .25cfm at an idle (ie, about 400 strokes per minute). Pressure depended on the compression ratio & condition of the engine -- you wouldn't get much from a Model T but then its tires didn't need very much. On a 1953 Mercury flat-head V8 you'd see better than 120psi and most VW's could do 75 to 90 psi.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

Tricky schrieb:

some images:

Manfred Braun
1967 VW Air Compressor Conversion ... 'Lucky Lime' ... Dunn Right Inc. ... Cleaning Pool Tile, in Tucson, Arizona

Cleaning pool tile, in Tucson, Arizona, since 2014. Compressor makes 56 cfm @ 100 psi. 'Volks-Aire' conversion kit from Dunn-Right Inc. The magic is in the cam shaft: 4 cycle, in the front, two cycle, in the back.

Reply to
cleanthatpooltile