1989 760 Nivomat questions

I have a 1989 760 Turbo (192,000 miles) with a sagging rear end. I assume from the description in the owners' manual that this is the self-leveling Nivomat system (how do I tell???). How do I tell if I have the "multi-link rear suspension"?

Is my only option to replace Nivomats with Nivomats? How about "good ole boy" air-adjustable shocks? It seems to me that they would provide added lift, and would be adjustable (manually, of course) for increased loads or a trailer....

I'd really like a cheaper solution than the $450/pair (plus labor) for Nivomats from IPD.

Thanks for any advice,

--Dale

Reply to
Dale James

You can switch the Nivomats to standard shocks, but you'll have to replace the springs at the same time. I prefer the ride quality of the Nivomats -- have you considered searching at a place like Erie Vovo for a used pair?

Bev

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

If you have a sedan then you will most likely have Nivomats. These are the most expensive of the Nivomats and I think IPD stock them. However if you want to fit the normal shock absorbers at a greatly reduced financial outlay then you should fit the standard or heavy duty rear springs as well. The Nivomats use a softer spring than standard. Of course, you can fit air adjustables but I would suggest that you fit the spring options I mentioned above as well.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

"multi-link