240 volvo accident - lb ca....

LONG BEACH - A solo-vehicle crash on a San Diego (405) Freeway offramp in Long Beach today left two men dead and three people injured, including two boys, ages 12 and 15, authorities said.

The accident on the Lakewood Boulevard offramp from the southbound 405 Freeway occurred shortly before 12:30 a.m., California Highway Patrol Officer Anthony Martin said.

Five people were trapped inside the wreckage of the 1990 Volvo 240DL, which went off the roadway and hit a tree, the CHP reported.

A 26-year-old Pasadena man driving the Volvo was killed, as was a 26- year-old Long Beach man riding in the vehicle, said CHP Officer P. Banuelos. Their names were withheld pending notification of relatives.

A 24-year-old Long Beach woman and two boys ages 12 and 15 -- both from Las Vegas -- suffered "moderate" injuries, Banuelos said. They were taken to Long Beach Memorial Medical Center.

Both northbound and southbound Lakewood offramps were shut down for nearly four hours during the crash investigation and accident cleanup, Martin said. The cause of the accident was under investigation.

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^
~^ beancounter ~^

yeah, those killer trees will get you every time!....

Not sure what the point was... afterall, ANY vehicle can be involved in a deadly accident under the right (or wrong) circumstances. People have died while riding in tanks, and even racecar drivers occasionally die in wrecks, inspite of some of the best safety measures and devices!... Perhaps the fact that the 3 survived is more important than that 2 died!.... might have been all 5 dead if it had been your average Ford or Chevy!!!!....

Reply to
Perry Noid

The 240's never had air bags or antilock brakes. That is one reason this model was dropped.

If you watch NASCAR, you realize that the main killer in such severe impacts is broken necks. NASCAR has the HANS device to keep ones neck from breaking like happened in Dale Earnhart's fatal accident. All NASCAR drivers wear these devices now and they really work. Dale thought it was inconvenient, but that argument died when he died. Seat belts and air bags can only do so much.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

Yes they did. I just worked on a '92 245 the other day which had both an air bag and ABS.

Reply to
James Sweet

I stand corrected. I gave up on Volvo in '90 when they had not adopted air bags and ABS. I got a '90 Subaru Legacy that had both. However, in '93 I was back and got a Volvo when the 850 came out with airbags and ABS.

The '91, '92 & '93 240's only had a drivers side air bag, not air bags. Those were the only years the 240's had an air bag.

In '92 only the 240 GL had ABS. In '91 ABS was a factory option available on a limited number of cars.

In 1990 and earlier years there were no air bags or ABS on any 240's.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

The 700 series had both even earlier, my '87 has ABS and there's a provision for SRS which thankfully is not there.

That is true, although for whatever reason I still view having an airbag as a negative, it's one more thing to go wrong and one more thing to think about when working on the car. I'm not convinced that they provide a lot of added safety for a properly restrained occupant in a well designed car. I've got mixed feelings about ABS as well, when it works it works well, however at least in the case of the 740, the ABS system has given me some grief and in that car as well you give up the dual circuit front calipers. The brake system in a 240 is really excellent, it's one of the most solid and overdesigned I've encountered and I've rarely ever had any issue with one.

Reply to
James Sweet

Don't worry for me guys, but on my '93 240, I disabled the ABS by removing the fuse from the ABS module. About the driver side airbag, I unplugged it in the steering.

Don't worry for me, I drive with my head instead of driving with gadgets!

And oh, I can stop more quickly than any other imbeciles out there with his g*d d!#$ ABS. That's why cars keep so much distance between them in city traffic, darn ABS need a greater distance to stop the car. And one more thing, I locked my wheels anytime there is an emergency. Tires are cheap, the car isn't .

My 2 cents.

Reply to
Someone

Yeah, those darn killer trees!!! We should arrest them and send them to Guantanamo prison. How come Bush hasn't done anything about it yet?

Fortunately, here in Canada, all killer trees only want to cross the border and go South. No passport required. Makes an interesting tombstone when you think about it. " Here lies... killed by a tree".

It's impossible to make a judgement unless we have an idea of the speed at which the accident happened.

"Save a life, kill a tree".

Reply to
Someone

If you can avoid locking the wheels, it can, under special circumstances, get you shorter stopping distance than ABS, however the ABS does give you the benefit of being able to control the car during hard braking since it can control each wheel separately. I have a car with and a car without ABS, the one without has a better overall braking system and stops very well with little pedal effort, however in rain and snow the ABS really is nice to have.

Reply to
James Sweet

I had just left a store, was travelling at about 15mph on a single lane, short street. This small street was covered with slush and was joining a huge 4 lanes road. As I approached the intersection at very low speed, I pressed the brake pedal since there was a stop sign and I had to stop because of the traffic. Too bad, the stupid ABS couldn't get a grip on the road because of the slush, so it DID NOT brake. It kept me going and goind at very low speed until I was right in the middle of the four lanes road. If it's not for the fact that the traffic was unusually light on the 4 lanes road, you can be sure that I would have been hit hard on the side of the car.

Drivers tend to drive quite fast on the 4 lanes road. I was screwed. Only the fact that there was very little traffic at that moment resulted in not being involved in an accident.

Right after that, I disabled the ABS. Btw, when it's raining or snowing, I drive more conservatively.

I still believe that ABS is a system that increases the number of accidents and fatalities on the road. But eh, to each his own.

Reply to
Someone

Don't worry for me guys, but on my '93 240, I disabled the ABS by removing the fuse from the ABS module. About the driver side airbag, I unplugged it in the steering.

Don't worry for me, I drive with my head instead of driving with gadgets!

And oh, I can stop more quickly than any other imbeciles out there with his g*d d!#$ ABS. That's why cars keep so much distance between them in city traffic, darn ABS need a greater distance to stop the car. And one more thing, I locked my wheels anytime there is an emergency. Tires are cheap, the car isn't . If you can avoid locking the wheels, it can, under special circumstances,

very special

get you shorter stopping distance than ABS, however the ABS does give you the benefit of being able to control the car during hard braking since it can control each wheel separately.

abnsolutely

I have a car with and a car without ABS, the one without has a better overall braking system and stops very well with little pedal effort, however in rain and snow the ABS really is nice to have.

i also have one of each and unfortunately the one without abs is the one i have to drive where i am on iced and snow packed roads in february and i sure would like to have the abs!

--------------080807080201030405090802--

Reply to
klh in VA

I would like very much to say that you are correct, the problem was mine and that ABS are a gift from God, but unfortunately, I would be lying.

My speed was 15mph! No one else was on the road. The street limit is

30mph. It was the end of winter, few inches of slush all over the road. It seems to me that because the tires could have a good grip on the road, the ABS kept applying pressure and then released it. It was like the wheel would lock and then go. There was nothing wrong with the ABS unit.

It is my understanding from taking with others who have experienced the same thing that ABS in the slush are worthless and in fact makes things worse.

On dry pavement for an evasive maneuver, ABS are unbeattable. But for less than perfect driving conditions, no ABS for me.

And btw, I'm an outstanding driver :-)

Reply to
Someone