245 Compressor clutch about seize???????

1982 245. Air conditioning just re-gassed and blowing very cold. In the last week I have noticed vibration at highway speed (felt like wheels unbalenced), but not really around town. Just checked under the bonnet (hood???) and I notice that when the thermostat engages the compressor there is a grinding noise from the compressor. Once the A/C gets the cabin to the required temp, the clutch at the front of the compressor stops spinning and the grinding noise stops. When the A/C is not engaged there is no grinding noise at all, although there is some belt squeal, which could be poor belt alignment due to hardenend bushes.

The compressor was replaced about 5 years ago by P/O but the invoice shows that the clutch was not replaced at the same time as it was "ok".

Questions: Would a faulty compressor clutch cause a vibration as speed that could be felt in the cabin?. Is replacing the compressor clutch a difficult job? If I do not attend to this urgently is it likely that the clutch could seize causing loss of power steering.

Thanks to all and cheers from a hot Sydney, Aus.

Reply to
Chris

This sounds like a failing compressor rather than the clutch, it's not uncommon for a failed compressor to contaminate the system with metal filings which then kill the replacement compressor.

Reply to
James Sweet

I agree with James Sweet; it sounds like the compressor is failing.

The clutch can do odd things when it fails, also. If it was like the one on our 85 765T, the clapper on the clutch is attached with rivets. The rivets failed on ours - if one or two of those are broken it could make things noisy. A visual inspection of the rivets will tell about that.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee