AC on the cheap

I bought a 1986 740 without a charged AC.

In rebuilding the motor, I opened the AC lines, so it is absolutely empty now.

I see these kits at Wal Mart for about fourty bucks that claim to be all you need to convert from R12 to R134.

Built in pressure gague, refrigerant, oil, fittings, instructions.

My question: anyone ever use this stuff, and does it really work?

Reply to
Mr. V

yes, and no.

If you take to an a/c place that is reputable, ie Firestone, it will prob cost you about $200 to $250

that is including 2 lbs or so of freon stuff.

j.

I wasted the $40.

Reply to
cognite tute

Sure it works, but you need a vacuum pump to pump down the system before you charge it, and you have to replace the filter/dryer, orifice tube, and all the seals. Volvo sells a kit specific to this car which makes the job go more smoothly. AC is not rocket science, but it does require dilligent attention to details and some special tools.

Reply to
James Sweet