Back-up Light Lens

Hi,

Our '93 240 Classic wagon arrived home today with the left-hand back-up light lens missing and the right-hand one hanging loose (undamaged).

Has anyone ever heard of these things coming loose? Are these lenses available separate from the entire assembly?

Mystified. Andy I.

Reply to
brackenburn

They fall off all the time. Apparently UV light degrades the adhesive. The good news is that they're available from the dealer separately, and for less than $10 each.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks Mike.

That's a relief! (To learn that they're available separately.) I had heard that the whole lamp assembly had to be replaced at a cost of ~$150...........

Andy I.

| > Hi, | >

| > Our '93 240 Classic wagon arrived home today with the left-hand back-up | > light lens missing and the right-hand one hanging loose (undamaged). | >

| > Has anyone ever heard of these things coming loose? | > Are these lenses available separate from the entire assembly? | >

| > Mystified. | > Andy I. | | They fall off all the time. Apparently UV light degrades the adhesive. | The good news is that they're available from the dealer separately, and | for less than $10 each. | | -- | Mike F. | Thornhill (near Toronto), Ont. | | NOTE: new address!! | Replace tt with t (twice!) and remove parentheses to email me directly. | (But I check the newsgroup more often than this email address.)

Reply to
brackenburn

The very best place I've found for all replacement parts is swedishengineering.com. You call their parts department and ask for what you need, and they always have it, in stock, and cheaper than anywhere else. Some mechanic tried to pull that "whole lamp assembly needs to be replaced" bullshit with me with my first 240 wagon. I believe it was someone on this board that explained to me that that particular lens falls off lots of 240s because of the type of adhesive that was used. I called up Swedish Engineering, and they had a new lens to me within 48 hours, for $6. I've been going back to them ever since and have never been disappointed.

Reply to
PButler111

Hi Mike,

Was that

Reply to
brackenburn

Hi "PButler",

Now you tell me!! :-).... $6 !! :-) but seriously, thanks for the info. I'm contacting Swedish Engineering to see what the penalties would be, ordering from Canada........................

Andy I.

| | The very best place I've found for all replacement parts is | swedishengineering.com. You call their parts department and ask for what you | need, and they always have it, in stock, and cheaper than anywhere else. Some | mechanic tried to pull that "whole lamp assembly needs to be replaced" bullshit | with me with my first 240 wagon. I believe it was someone on this board that | explained to me that that particular lens falls off lots of 240s because of the | type of adhesive that was used. I called up Swedish Engineering, and they had | a new lens to me within 48 hours, for $6. I've been going back to them ever | since and have never been disappointed.

Reply to
brackenburn

Yes you can purchase just the clear lens from the dealer & I have not heard of the lens just falling off Glenn

Reply to
G Klein

It's very common with the clear lenses on 240s. The adhesive they used didn't wear as well in the sun on the clear lenses as they did with the colored lenses. I don't think I've ever known a 240 owner who didn't have one of the clear lenses fall off at some point.

Reply to
PButler111

Well it's been a few years since I needed one, I remember it being around $8, I guess that's inflation/falling dollar/greed/whatever for you.

Reply to
Mike F

You're right about how common it is, I did not realize myself until I lost a lens on my previous 240, then started noticing what seemed to be every other 240 missing one or both clear lenses. My present 240 had both lenses when I got it, so I popped them off(they came off alittle too easy, so it was only a matter of time)and glued them back on with some gorilla glue. They're not going anywhere without the car now. :)

Reply to
mw156

With the "new" ('92) 240 wagon I just got last month, as I was doing my first in-person inspection, the right rear lens fell off as I was walking past it and fell right into my hand. Couldn't have been better timing. When I took the car in for its used car inspection, I had my mechanic stick it back in place.

Reply to
PButler111

What would be a good adhesive for attaching the lens?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Boris Mohar

Hi Boris,

"Silicone Adhesive" (not "Silicone") is recommended by my favorite Volvo dealer technician.

Andy I.

| >>Yes you can purchase just the clear lens from the dealer & I have not heard | >>of the lens just falling off | >>Glenn | >

| >It's very common with the clear lenses on 240s. The adhesive they used didn't | >wear as well in the sun on the clear lenses as they did with the colored | >lenses. I don't think I've ever known a 240 owner who didn't have one of the | >clear lenses fall off at some point. | | What would be a good adhesive for attaching the lens? | | | | Regards, | | Boris Mohar | | Got Knock? - see: | Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

brackenburn