How to value my totalled Volvo

My 1986 Volvo 740 GLE wagon was rear ended and I am told it is totalled. The other driver was at fault and was ticketed by the local police. It is very unclear to me how I should go about determining what is a reasonable offer on my car. The car just passed a NY state inspection (with a $300 wiper motor), has no rust, good tires and brakes, and runs extremely well. The interior is certainly not perfect....cracked dash, air conditioning hasn't worked for years, leather seats are ripping at the seams in some spots, and of course the headliner is terrible. The car has 191,000 miles on it.

I have looked at NADA, Kelly, and Edmunds and the value of the car is all over the place. Also, I live in an area where I don't think I'll find cars like this for sale in the newspaper. I do I prevent getting screwed. Any ideas on what this car is really worth.....before the accident that is!

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
WORSS

Try milking the guys insurance for far more then you think it's worth ;-). Make sure if you have to meet them to rub your neck a lot and complain of slight pains.... they might settle on a nice figure for you :-). Try getting them to get you the brand new equivilant of your old 740 GLE wagon... Lets see, Thats a V70, and since you had the GLE, definately a 2.5T version... if you had limited slip differential, you definately will have to have the traction advantages of the AWD version.... Hmm leather seats, A/C, and all that... well then you need the luxury package on that too... :-) Try going for this car, see what they say.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

If it was in the UK it would be about £250

col

Reply to
Col

It was worth roughly $1500 in a typical market - more in areas where Volvos are rare, less in areas where they are plentiful.

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski