Odometer adds mile at 9/10. Is this common?

My odometer on my 1985 245 shows 230,000 miles and some change. Everything on the cluster works, except the odometer adds a mile with the gauge hits 9/10. Not during 9/10, but a solid new mile when 9 out of 10 hits. I did a calculation that 9 out of 10 = 0.9 and 0.9 X

230,000 = 207,000.

So, if this odometer has done this since day 1, then it's about 27,000 miles over. If it's done it since 100,000 miles, it's about half of that over.

Any ideas?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

I got a reply that said if the odometer is turning a new mile ON the 9 every time, that is still a full 10 digit range (0-9 is 10 digits). Therefore it is still a full mile. They said a 9/10 mile would turn a new mile on 9, then 8, then 7...

thanks.

Reply to
Jamie