service light on 1996 volvo station wagon

Hi,

My service light on my 96 850 volvo wagon keps coming on when I start the car then goes off after about 2-3 minutes. A friend of mine just bought the tool for reading the codes and we hooked it up but it says there are no codes to read and the car is fine. I think I will not pass the MD emmissions test with the service light on after starting the car (maybe I can leave the car running when going to the test :>)

Any ideas on what is going on and how I might be able to reset it. It does not look like I can do it with the tool so I think I am out of luck.

Thanks for any help Jim

Reply to
foxjim

That is your service light A.K.A. (oil change light). It is not indicating a fault, it is just indicating a service interval.

The check engine light would indicate a fault.

Now the bad news: on your 96 the service light is reset with a computer, most code readers will not do it. One that will reset the light can be found at

this is what I use on my 96.

Reply to
Mike

Or you can have whatever required service is due done at the dealer. Dealer prices are usually reasonable as long as they don't talk you into a lot of extras.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks for your reply. I plan on doing all my own service (oil changes, etc...) myself so I guess I will need to live with the service light coming on every time I start the car. I will check with my friend about his tool he has but I think it just checks the fault codes and can reset them.

Mike (removethis) wrote:

Reply to
foxjim