V70 series 2 odometer dim can't read

Just after sorting the seatbelt the dash panel with odometer and the word cruise has gone suddenly dim. you can almost read something on it in the right light but next to impossible. I guess it is the same panel as s60 and s80.

All other lights and dimmer switch work fine. As I need to keep track of km for work this isn't helpful.

I spent ages surfing last night and found next to nothing. One suggestion was that this is common just removed the instruments and resolder everything, and made out that it's an easy job. Not convinced.

The other suggested the DIM (driver information module) could be faulty and can be replaced for 800pound whatever that is in Australian dollars who knows. Volvo has a magical and obligatory $1100 - $1300 for many parts like this.

Anyway any help or suggestions more than welcome.

Thanks in anticipation Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Savage

Just for reference for others who have their odometer and word "cruise" go dim, the magic volvo computer told the dealer it was the indicator stork at fault the one with trip computer controls, that was causing the issue. Replaced at a very reasonable price all the problem all solved.

Now who would have guessed the link between the two, almost beggers all belief. Some motor vehicle designers have too much time on their hands to even contemplate a link between the two. IMHO

Hope this might save others from following other suggestions on the internet about this problem and attempting to removed instrument panel and resolder every joint.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Savage

For those that don't speak Australian, their indicator stork is our indicator stalk or turn signal lever. On the V70 and some other cars it controls the turn signals, cruise control, and toggles the information window messages. There is even a wikipedia article on the "turn indicator stalk".

Reply to
Stephen Henning