Volvo 244 DL leak problem

I have had my volvo for about 1 year and it has a little under 270,000 miles on it. It runs beautifully, and I have had only one majore problem with it. The headgasket blew but I fixed it. Now, I am getting water on the inside of the car on the drivers side on the floor. I was thinking about getting the windshiled resealed, but I cannot afford it. Could I just put some sort of sealent around the edges to attempt to fix this problem, or is it something different? Also, I was thinking about adding an OverDrive to this car. It is a 1976 and I was wondering if there is such a thing, and how much it would cost, also the amount of time.

Reply to
John_K

Can't really help you with the leak, hopefully you get it figured out though.

As for the OD, yes you can add one, but it would involve replacing the M45 transmission with an M46, it's not really all that hard though. You'd need the transmission, driveshaft, OD wiring, and possibly a few other small bits. Should be doable in a weekend but you should allow some more time in case you get stuck or break something. How much it costs is entirely dependant on your local wrecking yards, there's a yard near me that charges $55 for transmissions and probably $25 for the rest of the parts, but some yards want astronomical prices for this stuff.

Reply to
James Sweet

Désolé tout en français... il faut déboucher les petites fentes au niveau du bas de caisse 4 de chaque coté. Cordialement. MEvide. "John_K" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
evide.michel

Sometimes this is caused by the heater valve having suffered with the overpressure caused by the blown headgasket. Is your DL manual or auto? If it is auto there is most likely an o/d unit already fitted. If manual then you will need to fit a shorter propshaft to allow for the extra length of the gearbox/overdrive combo. IIRC your car has a BW35/55 gearbox which is three-speed auto and may have an o/d if you have four useable gears. If manual then it may be a four-speed box without o/d.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes