Water in driver´s footrspace

During winter and rainy season water is under the carpet of the left footspace in my 745 TD 1989, which is otherwise tight. No water or moisture on the other front seat footspace. No rust problem otherwise. Is there any seal or cork or lid which can accidentally have gone off? Any idea where the water could enter? Removing the carpet and investigating the space under looks like a lot of work, so I am still hesitating to do it...

-- Viktor Weisshaeupl the address in the newsreader exists, but I never read it. it is meant as a spam container only. Personal e-mail pleas to weisshaeupl at utanet dot at

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

Could the liquid be coolant?

I had a similar situation in my 1996 850 GLT which was a heater hose that was leaking.

Reply to
nospam

Here's what the problem was with mine:

Water was entering via the fresh-air vent in the side of the footwell

- not through the vent itself, but through the improperly sealed hole that it sits in.

The gutter that runs forwards from the roof blends into the windscreen pillar, and the rain run-off is taken inside the side bulkhead section forward of the door. I'm guessing that inside this section there should be a drain pipe that leads from the base of the screen pillar to the exit slot in the sill. I'm guessing that this pipe became detached, and so water ran down the bulkhead side and in through the vent opening.

As I could fathom no way to reattach the pipe, instead I took the vent out, applied loads of bitumen spray inside the bulkhead section and the sill below, then refitted the vent with a sealant to make the joint watertight. I've had no problems in the five years since.

Other things that may cause the problem:

Faulty drains from the sunroof Leaking heater matrix or pipes Holes in the floor Leaking pipe to rear screen washer

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Similar thing happened to me. It turned out that the drain piping carrying condensed water from the Air Conditioner had become blocked. In my case it was a summer problem but perhaps something else to check off your list.

Reply to
Swifty

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I thought about that already last year but I am quite sure that this is not the case. I tasted the liquid, it did not taste like coolant. I am still healthy and alive :-). The second thing - I do not have any observable loss of coolant from the buffer reservoir.

-- Viktor Weisshaeupl the address in the newsreader exists, but I never read it. it is meant as a spam container only. Personal e-mail pleas to weisshaeupl at utanet dot at

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

Thanks for the input. I will try to check. Something like that I suspect. As soon as weather becomes warmer and I have time I will do it.

-- Viktor Weisshaeupl the address in the newsreader exists, but I never read it. it is meant as a spam container only. Personal e-mail pleas to weisshaeupl at utanet dot at

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

"Swifty" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@damia.uk.clara.net...

I do not have air condition. So I can check this off.

-- Viktor Weisshaeupl the address in the newsreader exists, but I never read it. it is meant as a spam container only. Personal e-mail pleas to weisshaeupl at utanet dot at

Reply to
viktor weisshaeupl

On my 89 745 I found the drains for the sun roof plugged. You can blow them out with compressed air or I use a brake cable from my bicyle and snake it out. It usually needs to be done a couple times a year.

Reply to
Rob Z