'02 Passat electrical

Three questions:

My background light on the HVAC dials did not work. However, the A/C switch lights when depressed. Then I shut off the fan then restarted it and the light came back on. 1.8T, manual GLS

Any hints of what to look at ?

Last Friday I had a ignition coil melt down and almost cut the engine on fire. Could these be related ?

A month ago, the engine hesisted, the CEL came on then it ran smoothly. Several ignition resets and the light went away. However, this dashboard light thing happened briefly 6 mos. ago.

Was that an indication of a failing coil pack ?

Problems with this car under warranty: Ignition coils @15K Monsoon radio 2x @12K Water pump failure (4 visits to fix) @ 24K Vacuum hoses 2x @ 33 & 40K CV boots @ 48K

Maintanence: Mobil 1 0W40 @ 5K intervals brake pads @45K Timing belt, all metal water pump ... @ 60K

Reply to
Steve