'06 passat 6cylinder first drive!

i drove the new pasat 6 cylinder [usa version] today. it is all i expected and about 30% more! the power coming to the wheels on this vehicle is awsome. how about chirping the tires when it shifts out of

2nd into 3rd! full automatic mode and the a/c on.....no hint of torque steer....quiet and no loss of composure...just smooth power and a resultant movement.....if you're looking at the bmw, honda v6 or toyota...drive this first before you make your decision. it's a blast!

regards

Reply to
euro930

Great, did they finally fix the crappy window regulators and the failure-prone ignition system?

Reply to
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Don't try the V6, as you can spoil your current impression ;) I suffer from this effect every time I drive my old Audi 100 (5cyl). The next two or three weeks my Vento feels like cheap, underpowered and noisy piece of junk. I wish I could use my Audi as a daily car...

Reply to
draugaz

sir, i believe those problems were solved two years ago.

regards

Reply to
euro930

Are the new Passats REALLY more reliable than the previous design? Given the heartache we've had with our 1.8T B5, I have little trust in VW these days.

Reply to
ihatespam

the past two model years have proven that yes is the answer to your question.....and vw strongly suggests nagging, re-ocurring problems are in the past.

regards

Reply to
euro930

You can't expect anyone to know the answer to that if they've been out less than a year.

Reply to
Matt B.

You're absolutely right about that. My question was more rhetorical than anything else, and meant to emphasize my ongoing disappointment in Volkswagen. Our B5 didn't start developing the bulk of its ongoing, nagging electrical and other "issues" until just about 2 yrs into ownership, but it was a definite slippery slope downward after that.

BTW, I just read the four-seasons closeout article of Automobile Magazine's

2004 VW Phaeton. From that article...it doesn't sound like VW has figured out AT ALL the all the gremlins in all their cars. Apply that "all-new" car experience from a 1 1/2 years ago to the new Passat, and it's not exactly a shining endorsement of VW's QC, then or now.

Reply to
ihatespam

Reply to
Rob Guenther