1997 Passat TDI, very difficult cold start

I have a 1997 Passat TDI, and live in Austin TX (not known for its cold weather !).

It is just now getting "cold" (between 45-55), and my Passat really has a tough time starting...

- the whole car is shaking

- takes 5-10 seconds to catch

- after the car starts, it is very rough (shakes the whole car) for about 30 seconds

- lots of white smoke

- then settles down

Any ideas or suggestions ?

-- Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Taylor

does it have glow plugs where one or two may be malfunctioning?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Glow plugs or pump timing. But if it's just a short spell of cold odd weather then live with it. Can you imagine what us northern TDI's go through?

Reply to
Woodchuck

And it starts fine when the engine is warm, right?

If so, it is defintely glow plugs. Probably at least 2. Not a big deal.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Shoot, that describes my car half the time.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Is this a do it yourself type of job ? Taking a quick look, the only thing I see that could be the glowplugs are 4 things just below where the fuel injectors enter the block. They are all connected to a black rubber piece that has 4 little wires coming out on the drivers side of the engine.

Are these the glowplugs ?

Any advice/gotchas on replacing ?

-- Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Taylor

Before you go out and replace glow plugs, check to see if there is voltage to them when the key is turned on. Before that check the 50amp fuse for the glow plugs. Start with the basics.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Uh I would highly recommend you purchasing a manual like a Bentley for your vehicle before you possibly start working on your engine. AFAIK mistakes can be expensive. The manual will save you money in the long run since you can test components instead of just replacing them. You might prefer the paper Bentley since it allows you to easily read it.

only $44.07 shipped free!!

BTW if the TDI glow plugs are like the A1 or A2 glow plugs then getting them out and in is tricky but fairly easy with some small ratcheting wrenches. ;-) JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave