1998 vw rialta vr6 automatic transmission

I experienced some problem with my vw auto transmission. All a sudden the engine was free reving and not engaging. But after few minutes of idling, it was doing fine again. I suspected that the auto transmission fluid was too low, but I cannot find any dip stick...or simply no way of checking the fluid level. Do any of you have this kind of problem. How and where can I check the fluid level without taking it to the dealer ? Please help. Regards.

Reply to
franciskychan

You need a VAG COM or a dealer trip (or a trip to anyone with the correct equipment). VW deleted the dipstick on mid-'95 and later Eurovans (on which the Rialta is based). (Actually they did this on their other cars too anyway.)

If you haven't had a fluid change every 40K miles (probably a little more often on the Rialta since it's carrying such a large load), you should just have it changed and the filter replaced. Also have it checked for leaks...if you really were low, there's a leak (it's not normal for a car to 'consume' transmission fluid...so it could be leaking.

VW might try to tell you that the fluid it 100K or lifetime. Wrong. Do not accept that as an answer. It is documented in the Eurovan maintenance manual that it should be changed every 40K miles. Dealers are often misinformed or ignorant on this topic.

Reply to
Matt B.

What Matt said AND use the VW fluid!

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

:) thanks for that endorsement.

and yes use the VW fluid. some people have found that some fluid made by Pentosin is the same stuff, but bottom line is that EV transmissions are tempermental and it's really not worth it to skimp on the fluid to save a few $$$.

Best place for a fluid change kit and OE stuff for the DIY-er for Eurovans is

Good prices, OE stuff, and tons of stuff for EVs. Awesome customer service and VERY prompt shipping too. They have a whole kit for EV AT fluid changes and also for retrofitting the dipstick too.

Reply to
Matt B.

oh and here's a DIY how-to:

Matt B.