80 Rabbit Won’t Keep Running

Hey all, I?ve got an ?80 Rabbit 1600 w/CIS that runs fine for 10 minutes then dies. Wait an hour, starts and runs, dies again. Any educated guesses?

Reply to
wascalwabbit

could be the fuel filter , or the pump inlet clogged

Reply to
samstone

Following on Sam's suggestion, do you get a spark when it dies? Will it run at-speed, but die when you slow down? If you try to drive it, does it lurch or simply lack power? Does it happen when the gas tank is full?

Try opening the gas cap, once. Just for giggles.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Is the cpr inlet screen clean? Is the fuel filter new? When you hook the timing light up to a spark plug wire does the light indicate that it getting a spark? When you attach the fuel pressure guage does the pressure read correct according to the chart in your Bentley manual?

Reply to
Jim Behning

Sounds like what happened to me when my fuel filter became clogged.

Reply to
tylernt

Things are lookin? good! Runs now, and the gauges work. New ignition switch fixed the temp gauge and the sporadic fuel pump. Probably fixed problems I hadn?t found yet. The fuel gauge sending unit arm wasn?t grounding to the sender mounting plate at the pivot point, so I took it apart and gave it a good scrubbing. Works fine, cheap fix. The car sat for 10 years, and I think the tank outlet was plugged with goo. It ran longer each time, so it probably had to clean out. It?s my son?s car (19). I?m looking like a hero. Thanks for the help, guys

"Jim Behning" wrote

Reply to
wascalwabbit

Reply to
Jim Behning

Once it starts, it runs great. Starts right up when cold, every time. I can drive it as hard as I want for miles, never misses a beat. New, clean filter, lines all seem clear. Runs too good to be a clogged line. It never starts when warmed up, though. Good spark, and if I give it a blast of starting fluid it will run for a couple of seconds. I did bump start it. If I crack the input line to the filter with the pump running, it squirts gas under pressure. I lift the air plate, but nothing comes out of the injector nozzle. I don?t have a pressure gauge, but looks like I need one. What?s a good brand

"Jim Behning" wrote

Reply to
wascalwabbit

When 'hot' and trying to start , does the exhaust smell like fuel? There are good tests and suggestions in the bentley manual for ' not starting while warm' . Many are fuel related - leak down of pressure, the thermo time switch - cold start 'injector' valve. Again , the bentley has procedures to check each. Because it sat for so long I'd use an injector cleaner in the fuel.

Reply to
samstone

You need a Bentley before the pressure guage. I don't know what a good brand is I got a Mac kit from a pawn shop. A friend was supposed to be Ebaying his pressur guage. I can ask him if he stil has it and it if has the right connections but I am heading out of town soon.

I have seen shade tree mechanics try to troubleshoot by crack>Once it starts, it runs great. Starts right up when cold, every time.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Yes pressure checks should tell you something. Also I am not sure if your cold start valve functions when your engine is warm also. When the engine is warm and won't start, you can pull out an injector, jump the fuel pump to keep it running, turn the ign switch to on, and pull up the fuel distributor plate while watching the injector not spray fuel. Might be a simple adjustment of the CO in the fuel distributor. ;-)

I think some have hooked a switch to the the cold start valve to activate it when gas is needed.

Did you try a new fuel pump relay? Maybe the old one is having some issues???

I know that some Rabbits had issues with the fuse boxes too.

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1