Coolant leak breaks power steering?

My wife was driving our 98 Jetta GLX when steam started to spray out from under the hood. Turns out there was a leak in the upper radiator
hose. But simultaneously, the power steering stopped working. I fixed the coolant leak and refilled it, but the power steering still isn't working. The power steering fluid level is fine. Do these systems have anything to do with each other?

Not at all, unless perhaps your power steering belt is soaked with coolant and is slipping. It's likely just a coincidence.

or belt that drives the water pump and PASpump has snapped. causing car to overheat and presurise to split hose.

Or that the PAS pump or water pump has seized, causing the belt to slip.
Coincidences are just coincidences. Apart from when two happen at the same time ;-)
Al.
Neil - Usenet wrote:

You nailed it, the serpentine belt had failed.
I only hope the belt didn't fail due to water pump or power steering pump failure, as Al suggested, but now I'll watch out for that when I start the car.