putting new engine in 99 Passat 1.8 turbo - trouble?

At 56k the engine on my 99 Passat 1.8 turbo is dead. Oil pump shot, crank and rod scoring. I'm 2nd owner, and VW will not pick up any of this. I'm replacing, but this is VERY expensive. To cut costs, I'm considering having an independent do the work. The independent has a couple of recommendations from others. Is there any reason I shouldn't consider using an independent in this case, like unusual mechanical complexity? Any thoughts and opinions on this?

Which choice would you make:

  1. Buy reman engine and install at dealers (most expensive route)?
  2. Buy a new engine from a surplus buyer, and have the dealer put it in (saves 0)? Or,
  3. Buy the new engine and have the independent install (saves 00 to 00).

TIA

Mark

posting with a bogus email due to spam. Apologies to those who dislike anon posters.

Reply to
spokin

|At 56k the engine on my 99 Passat 1.8 turbo is dead. Oil pump shot, |crank and rod scoring. I'm 2nd owner, and VW will not pick up any of |this. I'm replacing, but this is VERY expensive. To cut costs, I'm |considering having an independent do the work. The independent has a |couple of recommendations from others. |Is there any reason I shouldn't consider using an independent in this |case, like unusual mechanical complexity? |Any thoughts and opinions on this? | |Which choice would you make: |1. Buy reman engine and install at dealers (most expensive route)? |2. Buy a new engine from a surplus buyer, and have the dealer put it |in (saves $600)? Or, |3. Buy the new engine and have the independent install (saves $1000 to |$1500).

Put me down for #3 Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Personally, I'd consider a used engine from a reputable source. The nice thing about them is that they are not common failures and you are likely to find a low mileage unit at a good price as enough should have been totalled by now that there is a decent supply.

--TW Lately, it seems any garage could f*ck up a wet dream.

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

BY new do you mean NEW from VW or factory exchange from VW? My choice is go for the VW factory exchange unit and while it's not that difficult to change you best bet is from the dealer. And... as for why the old engine failed I bet the previous owner missed a few oil changes and engine sludged up.

Reply to
Woodchuck