Re: Getting the ECU Blink Codes from an A3

Hi Adam,

I have tried the procedure mentionned in the manual on a 1996 Golf, and it never worked either. I got pretty much the same results as you.

My feeling is this (and it's really a guess): Since it didn't work for me, for you, and others in this newsgroup, I figure it's because it can't be done on some cars. It seems the newer models' service manuals no longer mention this procedure. Maybe the VW department that takes care of the ECUs worked faster than the department that decides whether to put a plug under the back seat when it was time to eliminate this feature... (hey, the rubber floor mats for my 2001 Golf (different clips) weren't available 'till about a year after I bought the car...)

It would indeed be nice if someone out there clarified this.

best,

Erik

Ok First, so yes, I've read the Bentley on this. > > I drive the car a little and the check engine light comes on. I > decide to check the engine codes when I get home, so I get the plug > under the back seat used to short out pins 4 and 15 (i think, can't > remember off the top of my head) > > when I plug it in and then unplug it (2.5 seconds or so), every time, > the check engine light goes off, and doesn't blink to give me any > codes... it just goes out until the ignition switch is switched off > and the back on. And just for info, the car is not running when i do > this. > > Any help would be great! > > Adam
Reply to
E Tirschler

Well then, at least it isn't me. The darn thing came on when I deoxidized all my harnasses in the engine compartment. Replacing the O2 sensor tonight in hopes that it fixes it.

Unfortunately, in NC, the car will not pass inespction with the check engine light on.

adam

Reply to
Adam Oldham