Scirocco injection transplant

I've got two Sciroccos - a 1988 GTX and a 1992 GTII. One has excellent bodywork, the other (unusually for these cars) is shot rust-wise. Guess which!

I've a mind to stick the injected GTX engine etc. into the GTII. I guess this won't be that easy...

Engine/box Electrics Fuel metering/filters Fuel tank/pipes

Anything I've missed off here? Has anyone done this? Am I wasting my time?!

Cheers.

-- Ken Davidson

Reply to
DocDelete

never did an engine swap on a european car (living in the u.s. hasn't really given me the chance). but having swapped engines from car to car i can truthfully say that it isn't bad. the main thing is making everything bolt up properly. since you're using two like cars, there should be virtually no problems (in swapping things). you'll run into the barrage of broken pieces and parts that need replacing (plastic vacuum fittings come to mind), but it is very easy when you have them both side-by-side. see where you took this off and put it in the same place as the other. i'd strip the gtii first. at least get the engine out of the bay. that'll clear things out in a hurry and give you the chance to clean the compartment. i'd also suggest removing the strut assemblies just so they're not in the way. after that, mark all your wires in the engine bay and unplug. same with the fuel lines. important point here is label EVERYTHING. don't count on remembering this or that. label it all. soon you're just left with an engine which is a few bolts and you're ready to put it in it's new home. good luck.

Reply to
Foxx (in a box)