Shifting question....

I have a '95 Golf III Sport (GTI) 4cyl and frequently, more like mostly, shift without using the clutch pedal. I'm not talking about 5000/6000 rpm shifting here, just easly popping it into gear at about 2500/3000 rpm's. It's very easy to do and can be done without anybody even knowing if they aren't paying attention. Downshifting just as easy as well with a little blip of the throttle. My question is this.........can I expect the clutch to last a really long time since it basically isn't used most of the time? I've had this car since new and it currently has about 103k on it. I'm not having any problems, just curious. Thanks in advance.................

Reply to
RPJr

The $300 clutch will last a really long time, the $2,500 transmission will have to be replaced once a year ;)

Reply to
René

Yea, you are saving the clutch. However a few missed shifts, or a few more almost missed (the ones you don't notice missing) are going to take out the transmission. Clutches are cheap compared to transmissions and if you shift properly a clutch can last over 150,000 miles.

It is called penny wise pound foolish.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
none2u

Reply to
Steve G.

I really have to ask this question....... WHY?

All you will do is screw the box up eventually.

Chuckie F

Reply to
Chuckie Finzter

I had well over 200,000 miles on my Golf when I sold it years ago on the original clutch. 99% of clutches go bad because of how well, or lack how the owner uses the clutch. Shifting without a clutch is nothing new but it does cause EXCESSIVE wear on the scyronizers within the trans! It's your $$$$$ and a lucky lotto.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Never occurred to me to do this, but recently read about it. Tried it on my 2000 Golf TDI, and couldn't get it to work.

I'm probably better off!! :)

Reply to
Gen Buck Turgidson

I used to do that with my '65 Beetle, and never had a problem. As I recall, it was almost effortless to shift into 3rd gear from 2nd, never any grinding noise, it just popped into gear. However, I always used the clutch when shifting down, or when going from 1st to 2nd.

Reply to
Papa

Reply to
aokvw

Reply to
aokvw

Glad to have provided some fodder for you guy's....... :-)

Reply to
RPJr

Use the clutch. It's there for a reason.

Now, if you KNOW how to rev match, it can only ease the wear on your clutch. (your clutch winds up spinning near the same rate as the pressure plate and little or no wear occurs when engaging.)

However, removing that cushion leads to the likelyhood of increased wear on the soft syncros in your gearbox. Once their gone it's almost impossible to drive the vehicle. More importantly, the repair bill is likely to be much higher.

Reply to
Don Mac Phee

Ahh... the advantages of only having 40hp.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

True, and despite what the manufacturers will tell you, more horsepower does not equate to better.

Reply to
Papa