1999 Suburban - How does differential look work?

I bought a suburban that has differential lock. The original sticker calls it;
Locking Differential-rear axle
I'm wondering how this works (ie wheel slip, electronic lock) he only
paid $252 extra. It doesn't have 4x4 in it so I'm wondering how well this works as I have some pretty steep grades I'd like to try it on - 15-20% with gravel. I've got an old GMC 4x4 that pulls myboats up this grade with ease and I'm wondering if differential lock will make a difference under these conditions and allow me to at least get the truck up the hill or what conditions the differential lock is intended for?
Thanks in advance!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
This will help.
Al
| >I bought a suburban that has differential lock. The original sticker calls | >it; | > | > Locking Differential-rear axle | | | http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential | | This will help. | | Al | | Yea, but doesnt GM use the centrifigal locker? Where the wheel needs to spin up to a certain rpm be fore it locks.

Yes....

They mention the Gov-Loc in the article. You can google it and find everything you want to know.
Al
Look at your option codes for "G80." If you know how much he paid, I'm guessing you have the original window sticker, so it should be easy to find otherwise, you can look for a sticker in the glove box or a plate on the firewall. If you have that code listed you have an Eaton G80 locking rear differential. There is a lot of information available on the net, but basically, it is a mechanical system which will lock the 2 axle shafts together when there is a 100 rpm difference between the 2 rear wheels and you are traveling at less than 25 MPH with stock size tires.