Chevy Small Block Heads

Hi Guys,
I have a 1986 305 ci Chevy engine with cracked heads.
I also have a set of good heads off of a 1966 283 ci engine.
Does anyone know it these 283 heads will work on my 305?
Thanks,
✖
jhatt wrote:

Yes and no. They will bolt on but may lack accessory mounting holes and they will not have hardened valves and seats for use with unleaded fuels. I would advise against it.
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com

Add pictures here
✖
"" wrote: > What is the casting numbers on the heads off the 305?? I have > a good set of > heads that came off a good 305 engine if you want them. Where > you located??? > > > On 1 Nov 2005 13:36:52 -0500, jhatt
> > >Hi Guys, > > > >I have a 1986 305 ci Chevy engine with cracked heads. > > > >I also have a set of good heads off of a 1966 283 ci engine. > > > >Does anyone know it these 283 heads will work on my 305? > > > >Thanks,
SnoMan,
I see the missing holes you are talking about. I was afraid the valves might be a littls soft for unleaded fuel but I wasn’t sure.
Old Hippy,
My casting Numbers are 14022601 (on both heads) I am in Apache Junction, Arizona about 40 miles east of phoenix.
Jim
✖
are the bolt holes there for you Alternator ?
jhatt wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
"" wrote: > are the bolt holes there for you Alternator ? > > > jhatt wrote: > > Hi Guys, > > > > I have a 1986 305 ci Chevy engine with cracked heads. > > > > I also have a set of good heads off of a 1966 283 ci engine. > > > > Does anyone know it these 283 heads will work on my 305? > > > > Thanks, > > > > > >
no one,
Nope, no holes for my power steering either. I only need one on each head and the location where I need them is in a very "Meaty" part of the head. I probably could drill and tap them in alright, but I would still have the soft valves and lead additive to deal with that SnoMan pointed out.
Jim
✖
jhatt wrote:

I used to race SB Chevies many many years ago and I know them well.
--

www.thesnoman.com
jhatt wrote:

    Yes the valves will clear. Have the heads machined and hardend valve seats installed. any compitent automotive machine shop can drill & tap the accessiory bolt holes for you. 283 heads on a 305 will give you a higher compression ratio. One fix for the Notrouis P.I.G. 305's put in chevy trucks. Charles
Add pictures here
✖