86' Chevy 305 Smells Rich

Hey there, I have been searching for vans to buy. Recently found a 86' Chevy 2500 G20 Series with 120k Miles. I took it to a mechanic to get it inspected. He smelled the rich exhaust and refused to look any further. Told me it was a curse, not to buy it and get something else for my money. It bothered me because I didn't get a real inspection. I know most mechanics don't do much to check engines and this problem can be hard to diagnose, but does any one have any advice or know about these motors and how common the issue is? Is it somewhat common to have even a little rich scent? I am learning any info would be much appreciated. I love the van, but not trying to buy a money bucket. He noted the mileage could be inaccurate since it rolls over at 100k and that the check engine light was off plus with no connector for his reader, he couldn't do a computer check.

Reply to
TGEETAR