Cruise Control Problems...

'85 Suburban 4x4 350 TH350

I got rid of the turn signal mounted control(which seem to only last a short while till the wires break) and wired in a double throw momentary toggle switch. Worked GREAT! Recently, while driving in CC, it shut off and hasn't worked since. I replaced the cut-off switch at the break pedal which had been acting up before. No help! There is what looks like a vacuum actuated switch in the firewall that I think might be related to the CC. Then there is the main diaphragm that runs the throttle. I have yet to check the diaphragm to see if its popped or not. Where is the There is no speedo cable in, speedo cable out box on the inner fender under the hood if anyone was gonna mention that. There is a box mounted up on the bottom side of the steering column with a heat sink on it. Its about

7"Lx3"Wx1"thick(approximately). It has wires that run up into the column, so I kinda figure it isn't the control. I don't know for sure though. I know that they started doing some odd things around, no neutral safety switch(inner column stop instead) to mention one.

Any help would be appreciated...

Reply to
Shades

and buy a new cruise control

Reply to
Im Right

The control unit (amplifier?) is probably bad. You cannot short any of the terminals on the unit without risking damage (and your jury-rig probably did just that). The heat sink unit that is under the column is the control unit for the delay wipers. I would look at replacing the turn signal lever-switch with another one and then getting a new control amp.

Reply to
Rich B

Where is the control unit???

Reply to
Shades

If yours is like my 1990 Burb, it located on top of (or on the side of) the steering column up under the dash. It has one ribbon cable going to it and is held in by a clip. I was able to reach up and remove it without much of a problem. The dealer probably won't have one but rebuilts are available for about $80 - $100. I located one at a jobber that carries a lot of "dealer" parts for older vehicles.

Reply to
Rich B