E85 fuel

Well doesn't seem anybody knows much about using E85 fuel in a 99 Chevy Silverado. E85 is 15% gas and 85% alcohol. I understand the principles of operation. What I don't understand is why it wouldn't be good to use it in
my truck. Somebody please give me a mechanics reason why I can't do this and what modifications I would have to perform to make this work. Thanks
Well the easy reason is, it would be illegal. That engine, computer, and emissions system is NOT designed to run on it. It would be the same as running real leaded gas in an unleaded fuel vehicle. As it sits it won't even run on E85. To make it run on E 85 means you need the E85 computer, injectors at least. Good luck with that. Oh and you probably will want to replace ALL the steel fuel lines with stainless. Might end up replacing the tank as well if it has any rust in it.
You do know that you will lose almost half the fuel mileage as well?
--
Steve Williams

"Doug" < snipped-for-privacy@starband.net> wrote in message
alcohol has less BTU's than gasoline and would require major rejetting/calibration of the fuel metering system to run correctly. A fuel mixture combined of 15% gas/85% alcohol would destroy every component it touches that is made out of rubber. Motors that run on alcohol (racing engines) are designed from the ground up to do so........nuff said Still wanna run E85...?
--
Mad-Dog
'79 Chevy K-10