fuel gauge

the fuel gauge sometimes just goes to empty it may do it seting still or going down the road

12pack wrote:

What kind/year of vehicle? If it's a newer one, you will probably have to replace the fuel pump/sender assembly which is in the gas tank. Unless yours happens to have a replaceable sender which is probably attached to, but distinct from, the pump.
Either way it means dropping the tank, which can be a lot of........fun. Yeah, that's it.
Or you might have a bad ground on your gauge or a faulty gauge.
Maybe you're out of gas. :)
You'll sometimes get this if you leave your fuel filler cap off or if there is a leak in the cap's seal. I think the bad ground or a loose connection are the most likely culprits...

seting still or

probably have

gas tank.

probably
gauge.
A friend of mine had this happen to his 03 Silverado and the dealer said to try good fuel cleaner. I thought it sounded like a load, but he said it made a difference. I have never had this problem in my 98 Sierra but I always put in some Lucas stabilizer/conditioner.
Good luck,
Blair