having problems with my 88 stepside

i bought the truck a couple of weeks ago. the tranny was wworking fine when i got it but after driving it about 60 miles i lost 3&4 gears. i replaced the tranny with another 700r4 and still doing the same thing. i
was driving the truck today and engine just died and when i got it restarted it had a horrible knocking noise. hopefully someone can tell me whats wrong with it.
Today we checked the flywheel and it was cracked finally got another tranny that works but the knocking continues