S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

Threaded View
Considering S10 or S15 new truck purchase, and I see they all
come with a couple of unwanted "features" as standard equipment.

Daytime Running Lights:
No thanks.  If I want lights, I'll pull the switch.  I've
heard a rumour the military/government/police packages do not
have these.  Anyone know how to get rid of this anti-feature?

Electronic Key:
As part of an optional anti-theft system for city folk, this
might be an acceptable inconvenience, but I really need the
simple reliability of a basic mechanical key.  Anyone know
how to kill this system?

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
You're probably gonna do a lot of cussing.  My 99 has automatic headlights
and they are "difficult" to make back to manual.  If your daytime running
lights are seperate, simply pull the fuse.  If they are part of the high
beam system, pull the relay.  I think the electronic key is still just an
option.  The way I read, you can't disable thing at all.  You can't even
change the entire ignition switch without it.

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
You will find various posts about ways to abort or work around those
keys.

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

My kid has a Olds 88 with a chip in the key.  One of his keys doesn't work.
Its a resistor type of thing that when inserted becomes a proximity chip.
If the resistance doesn't match, the key won't turn.  You're right, of
course.  There are ways to beat it.  Its just not very feasible for the
average shade tree guy.  Its all wired through the computer system and since
its part of an anti-theft circuit, it is difficult to just bypass the damn
thing.  I'm sure that it doesn't even slow down a crook, but it sure as hell
confounds the consumer!

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

Depends on the year there were different systems of theft prevention.
Usually they can all be bypassed with a simple module designed to work with
a remote start systems.

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

Its a proximity chip. Simply make a copy of the key with a regular blank.
Then, tape the key with the chip to a location close to the ignition, close
enough for the plain key to start the car. Then break the key with the chip
so a thief can't steal the car with that key your leaving in the car.

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
"Its a proximity chip. Simply make a copy of the key with a regular blank.
Then, tape the key with the chip to a location close to the ignition, close
enough for the plain key to start the car. Then break the key with the chip
so a thief can't steal the car with that key your leaving in the car."

You know, that's a unique idea!  Have you tried it?

Tony

--
2001 White S10 ZR2
Bone Stock

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
Why would you want to disable your day time running lights? It is for your
safety, makes you more visible at a greater distance, ever notice trains
with out lights?

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
Not sure where you'll get a NEW S-10/S-15, they stopped making them in
'03.  DRLs can be defeated on each ignition cycle, but it resets when
the truck goes off.  Not sure the S-10/S-15 ever had a key with a chip
on it, so that's not really an issue.

Now, if you're talking about the Colorado/Canyon (which are NOT
S-10/S-15 trucks IMO), I can't help out there...

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

How?

Al

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
2000 and newer, press the dome override 4 times in 5 seconds and the
DRLs and AHLs are disabled.  This gets re-set when the ignition is
turned off, so it would have to be done each time the truck is
started.

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
I would also like to find info on disable the DRL on my 2002 S-10. Would
really like to put in a switch to make it my option.
Don't have a problem with the auto headlamps, but think the DRL is wasting
fuel for nothing and adding to the visual clutter of the road plus the
obvious of making the motorcyles harder to detect.
There are websites on this, but nothing for a late model S-10.
Pete

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

Wasting fuel?  The minimal amount of energy it takes to power those
lights is NOT gonna make a fuel mileage difference.

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
DRL's "waste" about $12 per year in gas but they do save lives so my
question is... What are the lives of you and yourfamily worth?   BTW I
don't hear anyone complaining about the fuel they waste on air
conditioning.

DRLs, at sufficient levels of intensity, increase visual contrast
between vehicles and their background.=A0 Various studies have shown
that DRLs can improve the noticeability and detectability of vehicles in
the central and peripheral fields of view. U.S. Department of Health and
Human Services, Public Health Reports , Vol. 110 ; No. 3 ; Pg. 233;
ISSN: 0033-3549 (May, 1995); Allen, J. M., Strickland, J., Ward, B., and
Siegel, A.: Daytime headlights and position on the highway. Am J
Optometry 46: 33--36 (1969); Attwood, D. A.: Daytime running lights
project, IV: Two-lane passing performance as a function of headlight
intensity and ambient illumination.=A0 Technical Report RSU 76/1.
Defense and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Downsview,
Ontario, Canada, 1976; Attwood, D. A.: Daytime running lights project,
II: Vehicle detection as a function of headlight use and ambient
illumination.=A0 Technical Report RSU 75/2.=A0 Defense and Civil
Institute of Environmental Medicine, Downsview, Ontario, Canada, 1975;
Horberg, U.: Running light--twilight conspicuity and distance judgement.
Report 215.=A0 Department of Psychology, University of Uppsala, Sweden,
1977; Horberg, U., and Rumar, K.: Running lights--conspicuity and
glare.=A0 Report 178.=A0 Department of Psychology, University of
Uppsala, Sweden, 1975; Kirkpatrick, M., Baker, C. C., and Heasly, C. C.:
A study of daytime running lights design factors. (DOT HS 807 193).
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC, 1987.;
Ziedman, K., Burger, W., and Smith R.: Evaluation of the conspicuity of
daytime running lights. (DOT HS 807 609). National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration, Washington, DC, 1990.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
There are two classes of pedestrians in these days of reckless motor
traffic - the quick and the dead.
~ Lord Dewar 1933 ~

Climbing into a hot car is like buckling on a pistol.  It is the great
equalizer.  ~ Henry G. Felsen 1964 ~

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
    I tend to side with Pete on this. Its going to use a "Very Little amount
of fuel" But If you add it all up for the life of the vec, You also have to
think of what else this causing shorter life on other parts as well.

Alt, Light bulbs, Etc,Etc
Granted Its not much. But If the guy drives 40000 miles a yr. And keeps the
car 3 yrs it might save 50.00 on gas.

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

No offense, but can I have some of what you are smoking?

I have never understood this constant chatter about the evil nature of
daytime running lights.  They are a proven safety feature, and even if they
were not, I fail to see why they are so objectionable.  I suspect it is
simply an attitude of "I am being told I HAVE to do something, therefore I
must find a way to NOT do it."

I am 3 of 10.  Prepare to be assimilated.

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

they

exactly

kind of like the Stamp Act

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

I would like to be able to just turn the lights off period. It's simply a
problem of pulling into a canted driveway and illuminating the interior of
the neighbor's house in front of my truck. This is just one example. I have
been blinded more than once by a vehicle that cannot turn it's lights out
once it has come to rest with the engine running. I agree that DRLs are safe
on the highway but they can be just as unsafe in other situations where the
truck has come to a stop but the engine must keep running....

Regards

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?
just pull the fuse.
old john

have
safe
the

Re: S10/S15 Disable DRL and Electronic Key?

have
safe
the

Judging from your comments, it seems that you are confusing the DRL's with
the Automatic Light Control. Daytime Running Lights only come on during the
day, hence the name.
Setting the parking brake on my GMC *before* starting the engine, disables
the ALC until I release it.

Site Timeline