universal performance ignition coil on a 4.3 Vortec

--B_3260901288_2227918 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit
Good evening,
Do any of you have any insight as to whether or not I can hook up a universal performance coil (2 power leads and one lead for a plug wire) to a 4.3L Vortec? I have been through 2 of the OEM coils already and they get expensive. It seems that many of the MSD, Accel, etc. universal coils are much cheaper and may pack a better punch. I have searched with no luck on this one. I know MSD makes a high output coil thats a direct OEM fit but Im wondering how to best connect a universal coil? Have any of you done this? Im sure its so basic that I will be hitting my head against the wall... Does anyone make a harness that will fit the OEM molex connectors or so I need to slash and trash??
Thanks and take care, Andrew.
--B_3260901288_2227918 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding
<HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>universal performance ignition coil on a 4.3 Vortec</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <FONT FACE="Verdana">Good evening,<BR> <BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Do any of you have any insight as to whether or not I can hook up a universal performance coil (2 power leads and one lead for a plug wire) to a 4.3L Vortec? &nbsp;I have been through 2 of the OEM coils already and they get expensive. &nbsp;It seems that many of the MSD, Accel, etc. universal coils are much cheaper and may pack a better punch. &nbsp;I have searched with no luck on this one.<BR> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I know MSD makes a high output coil that&#8217;s a direct OEM fit but I&#8217;m wondering how to best connect a universal coil? &nbsp;Have any of you done this? &nbsp;I&#8217;m sure it&#8217;s so basic that I will be hitting my head against the wall... &nbsp;Does anyone make a harness that will fit the OEM molex connectors or so I need to slash and trash??<BR> <BR> <BR> Thanks and take care,<BR> Andrew.<BR> </FONT> </BODY> </HTML>
--B_3260901288_2227918--

Spark voltage is a function of spark plug gap and cylinder pressure, you can install a coil that can output 100,000 volts but if all that is required to ionize the plug gap is 14,000 volts, your "better punch" is wasted.
Connection is pretty straight forward, one side of the primary is connected to system voltage, the other is connected to the ignition module which pulls the circuit to ground. Haven't seen a coil yet that isn't marked.
The last failed GM coil I saw was over 4 years ago, they just aren't all that failure prone. You're either buying cheapo Wells coils or there is an undiagnosed underlying problem if your coils are failing that frequently. My suggestion would be to correctly diagnose it and fix it.