A6 Won't Start

Hi,

I have a '99 A6 2.8 with 80k on it, good battery, starter cranks but sounds like engine isn't turning over and won't start. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance, MZ

Please reply to snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com

Reply to
MZ

Dale Webler

The message from "MZ" contains these words:

If it sounds like it's turning over very freely and without all the usual noises, check the cam belt.

If it's not even doing that then it sounds like the starter's not engaging - try giving it a whack with the handle of a screwdriver.

Reply to
Guy King

Did you recently start the car and then shut it off shortly there after? (Like starting it to move it from point A to point B in your driveway).

Reply to
John Clark

MZ, Have someone crank the car over while you watch the front pulley on the crankshaft and open the oil cap and (if it's possible, I know you can on a

1980 5k, but not on a 1987 5kt) look at the camshafts. If the crank turns and the cam shafts don't, you probably have a broken timing belt. If the crank doesn't turn, you may have a broken starter, or a missing tooth on the ring gear. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
Reply to
Steve Sears