Audi TT... quick question

Does the TT have a transverse engine like the 2005 VW GTI?

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

lol Thanks Chris and Tony. A transverse engine in an Audi! Hmmm has this been done before?
I learn something everyday! lol

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

Yes. The Audi 50, which became the VW Polo. Also, the A3 and S3 have transverse engines.

Doesn't the A2 have a transverse engine too? There is a distinguishing feature of transverse engines, with regard to 4-wheel drive, in that they all use the Haldex electric differential between front and back. The models with longitudinally mounted engines all use the Torsen mechanical differential. I'm not enough of an engineer to know whether there is a mechanical constraint behind this difference. I do know that the Haldex is mounted remotely on the back axle, but isn't the Torsen mounted onto the back of the gearbox?
--
Dave N

N.B. Mail to nospam is rejected. Reply-To does work.
Dave N wrote:

Yes, I'd forgotten that :-)
Thanks all! I will have to see these "newer" models of Audis at my USA dealership. ;-) AND read more! lol
later, dave (One out of many daves)

And the Mk1 TT