Auto gearbox problem? - Audi 100 Type 44 1984

Hey group
So it's time for me to pick your brains again :-)
Our beloved 100 has just transported us 2000km across europe in 6 days without missing a beat, mostly with speeds between 140 & 160 km/h on the
motorways but also some very hot summer traffic-jams too. No problems whatsoever.
Strange that, as soon as we get home, the auto 'box starts getting a little weird; when changing from 1st to 2nd, it tends to slur a little, as if it's attempting to get power through but not really succeding - the closest thing I can think of to describe it is that it feels like I'm feathering the clutch in a manual car...
As the motor warms up the problem seems to go away - sometimes totally, sometimes so that it's only noticeable by looking at the rev-counter.
The takeoff from idle and change from 2nd to 3rd give no problems whatsoever, and we can't seems to reproduce it when shifting manually.
Any ideas?
Cheers, Chris : )
That auto trans has a 2nd gear brake band that should be adjusted to compensate for high mileage wear. I used to remove and clean the ATF strainer, put in a new paper gasket and pan rubber gasket, fill with 3 liters of Dexron II fluid and then adjust the band. You'll find the technical detail in the Bentley repair manual. Salud! Ramon, 1987 5000 CS Quattro in FL, USA.