Gearbox type

Can anyone think of a manual gearbox that would take the power to a rover v8, not to large or heavy, and must have top gear as overdrive. I am playing around with ideas to convert such a box to mate with a transfer case in a four wheel drive project. I am thinking of a small gearbox, existing 5 speeds are bit to large. Does anything come to mind.

Thanks

Smokeyone

Reply to
Smokeyone

THe one fitted to Rover SD1s???

Reply to
Conor

What about the Toyota 5 speed which is used for a lot of American V8's, or a Borg Warner T5?

Not sure on the size of the T5, but i'm told that the Toyota box is amazingly strong for the size of it (i.e. it doesn't look beefy enough), and can handle your normal Small Block V8

Reply to
Phil Howard

Toyota Camry or Cressida as it was known in South Africa, was a very common conversion for the V6 and I think it was experiented with to go on the V8 as well.

Lightweight box, with an excellent gear ratio.

Reply to
Igundwane

AKA the standard Land-Rover box (but now much improved).

Thinks some of the bigger engined Rangies use the T5 box box but not sure.

Reply to
awm