Garage can't reset the service indicator?

Hi all. I just had my 8 year old A6 serviced at a garage, and while their tool normally manages to reset Audi service indicators, it wasn't able to do mine. They tried another garage, and they couldn't do
it either. They have said to me it won't affect the car, it'll just annoy me, and it perhaps points to some kind of problem somewhere in the dashboard? Just wandered if anyone has any clue really. Many thanks for any thoughts, even guesses are welcome. Nev
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:56:33 -0000, Nev Arthur

I got a 97' A6 and the same thing came up. It turned out that the 97' needs the 98' or newer interface box, but is equipped with the pre 97' interface connectors (2 x 2). The shop will need to use an adapter cable to be able to use their tool intended for 98' or newer model on your car. The adapter has 2 x 2 Port connector in one end and the 16-pin OBD-II connector in the other end.. I resently bought one for myself so I can bring it along for the shop to use..
pictures are shown here: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/2x2.html
ottar t

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:56:33 -0000, "Nev Arthur"

Have you tried resetting it via the instrument panel controls, as described in the owner's manual? If the dealer couldn't do it, this probably won't work either, but it's worth a try. -- Jay. (remove dashes for legal email address)

Its not possible to reset via instrument panel on a pre 98' model..
ottar t