Questions about 99 1.8T A4 quattro

Hi Recently I bought a 99' 1.8T A4 quattro and it is my first car. It has mileage of almost 70k miles. After I bought it, I became to know that I need to consider to change the timing belts. Can I ask any issue or things to check and replace for my new car? And I also want to ask how much it will cost to change belts and where will be a good place to do it. I am living in austin, TX. Thank you

Reply to
danny

Vewry good choice.

The miles would be right for a timing belt change and the time too. 60 - 80 K is about right and 5 years is a limit too.

Change: timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler pulley. Be sure to specify that they use a German water pump with metal pump blades NOT the plastic ones.

Changing the front crack shaft seal and cam seals is a good idea at this time too.

Find a good independent mechanic shop (ask other audi owners in your area for their recommendations). Be VERY sure that they are competent in working on audis.

Cost will probably be $800 to $1,100.

Reply to
Tony

Thank you very much, Tony. This cost will be for all of those jobs and labor charge, right? Will it be a good idea to buy the components to replace from the internet and bring those to mechanic? Thank you.

Reply to
danny

That is my guess but you should ask for an estimate. The most important thing is to be sure the mechanic has experience with audis.

Part of the profit that a mechanic makes is from mark up on their wholesale parts cost. They also are reluctant to guarantee their work with other parts. I would recommend you let them source the parts. A number of the posters on this ng are independent mechanics and have discussed this extensively in the past. You could look up history to see their feelings in the matter. Look for threads by JPF from about a year ago.

Tony

Reply to
Tony