Re: So much for EDL!!

Just press the ESP button, it turns off EDL
It's a '98 A4 1.8T Quattro, so no ESP, but it is precisely because EDL does not seem to work as advertised that the car would not start, as the differentials did not lock on any of the 3 cars!

JP, I seem to remember a discussion about the "roller test" at the quattro Challenge I attended at Mosport in 2001 - at the time they had ESP equipped on the cars so I guess you're not a believer in EDL quattro but possibly a believer in EDL quattro with ESP....didn't the '02 have ESP??? Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - quattro non ESP, EDL, EIEIO 1980 Audi 5k - non-quattro 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - non engine oil (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

The '02 in question has ESP so I did not see that made a difference. Now, I'm sure your '87 manual diff locks would have done the trick. Surely those were the days when cars were made properly and with no big gizmos!
JP, ESP didn't help? whaddayaknow. Sure, the '87 didn't have big gizmos - but the medium to small gizmos still were problematic - like hydraulically power assisted brakes, ABS, power windows, door handles, headlights (did I say "medium"?)....... They all have their quirks. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

I didnt think the 98 A4 had EDL? it should be true Torsen 4wd 50/50.?
The electonic gizmo's started in 2000??
Ronny wrote:

50/50 front/rear distribution doesn't help if the traction difference is side/side.
-- Mike Smith

Not true! Even my 96 A4 2.6 FWD was equipped with EDL and ASR.