The Emission control malfuction light came up can I drive?

I was planning on a 5 hour drive this weekend but the emission control malfunction light came up yesterday and I won't have time to get the car checked by then..
I was wondering if it'll be ok to drive my A6 that long would it cause any troubles? responses will be greatly appreciated I'm kinda new to cars now so.. Thanks a lot! oh it's a 1998 A6
Don, What does your manual say about the light? FWIW - in my '87 5ktq, generally yellow lights mean "hey, here's something you need to check...keep driving" (ie - low washer fluid) and red lights mean "Pull Over!!!" (ie - overheat warning) Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)

thanks I got it all checked : ) as lopng as it doesn't "blink" I've heard it's all good