2000 E39 525i sedan

The fuel gauge no longer reads correctly when I fill the tank. At present when filled the gauge reads just less than 50 litres and seem to be getting slowly lower as time goes by.
Has anyone experienced the same problem and know how to rectify? Also anyone in OZ have a set of factory 16" or 17" rims to fit the E39 that they might want to sell? Thanks TGH
"TGH" snipped-for-privacy@tpg.com.au wrote in message

Yes.
No.
Mine started doing it a couple of months ago. Putting 69+ litres in it only gets the needle to around 90% of full travel.
A minor irritation but I would be interested if someone has a fix.

A while back, someone suggested that refilling with the ignition on (or, perhaps, even with just the key in) would result in false gauge readings. Otherwise, it sounds like a sensor problem.
Tom K.