2005 Ford Escape Fuel Fill Tube Problem

I have a 2005 Escape Ltd and it is a giant pain to fill the gas tank with fuel. I'm not talking about the price, there is a problem with the pump shutting when I pump. This happens even when I pump it slow. I can put in say .3 gal and then the stupid filler nozzle clicks off. Takes a long time to fill the tank. It happens at all gas stations.

Could this be an emissions device (solenoid) problem? If so, Ford will have to pick up the tab for the repair. Anyone else have this problem? M

There is a TSB for this concern... If the car is under waranty, there should be no problem with the repair... If the car is out of warranty.... there is the chance that the dealer might be able to AWA the repair.... The dealer doesn't have a whole big bag of these "AWA tokens" so it will be up to the dealer that sold you the car....

Another consideration is the use that the car sees.... A lot of people confuse AWD (like the Escape) with 4WD. AWD isn't as friendly to off-roading as 4WD is.... No excuses... that's just the way it is....

Top-postingly yours....

Reply to
Jim Warman

The car might still be in warranty. Why not take the service manager to the gas station and have him show you how to fill it or determine if there is a problem.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

What car? The Escape is a truck.

Often, Ford and the other car makers will pay for repairs related to a TSB even after the warranty expires. I don't know if this is the case with this problem. I am not sure what you mean by "concern." The word is "problem."

What does this have to do with the OP's problem with his truck?

See, it is hard to follow a thread when you are top-posting idiot.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Define truck, and how does the Escape fit the definition? Compare an Escape to a Fusion - both are vehicles that are primarily front wheel drive, with AWD versions available, both have similar engine and transmission offerings, both have four doors. The Escape is a little taller and has a hatch back. The Fusion has a trunk. Both use unit body construction. The maximum towing capacity for a Escape is 3500# (V6 Automatic when properly equipped) or 1500# (4 cylinder). Ford doesn't recommend towing anything behind a Fusion. The maximum payload for the Escape is 1000#. The maximum payload for a Fusion is 850#

So what makes the Escape a "truck" and the Fusion a "car?" Towing capacity? 3500# is pretty wimpy. An extra 150# of load capacity? That is not much difference. To me the Escape is just a small station wagon. These days calling something a station wagon is a no-no. SUV sounds so much more manly, except now "SUV" is starting to take on negative connotations because they are thought to guzzle gas and be driven by inconsiderate jerks. Therefore, I think calling an Escape a "Cross Over Vehicle" is the right way to go. Still, a rose is a rose no matter what the name.

Where I work, a concern is something a Customer complains about because he doesn't like it. It could be as trivial as the color of an item or a Customer not liking the way a control works.

If this vehicle has had the same owner since it was new and the owner is just now complaining about a slow fill of the fuel tank, then I'd call this a concern. If it was a problem, it would have been addressed when the vehicle was new (and comfortably inside the warranty period).

As Jim mentioned there are TSBs for this concern (at least two) - "05-18-4 SEP 05 Fuel System - Fuel Tank Slow to Fill/Nozzle Shuts Off " and "07-11-1 JUN 07 Fuel System - Difficult Fuel Fill In Cold Climates " Apparently this is common complaint for 2005 Escapes. See

or
. If the vehicle is out of warranty, Ford does not have do the work suggested by the TSB for free. A dealer may do it for free, or may do it for free if you pressure them. If the vehicle has been back to the dealer in the past for this complaint, then I would argue it should be done for free. If the owner is just getting around to complaining now, then I would be inclined to refuse to do it for free (unless they were a good Customer).

I've have never understood why people get all worked up over top posting, versus bottom posting, versus in-line posting, versus proper trimming, etc. If a post is too hard for me to follow, I don't follow it. Some people have posts with actual information that are worth following no matter how they are formatted. Some people have posts that should be ignored no matter how well they follow the accepted format. And then there are some people who are so irritating I have to read their posts not matter how they are formatted (like watching a train wreck, I can't turn away).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

A truck is a vehicle that is registered as a truck. Functionally, different safety standards apply. In addition, trucks usually have a higher center of gravity and appetite for gasoline or diesel. As you point out, the difference between an SUV and a station wagon or crossover vehicle (I drove a crossover even before they were called that

- an AMC Eagle) is not big.

I think it is important to remember that Escapes, Astros and Durangos are not cars.

That explains the word "often" I used. And some TSB specfically extend the warranty for a particular problem.

Gee, I haven't seen a train wreck. Plenty of car crashes, though.

If all of my posts were at the top or bottom, it would be harder to know to which comments I am replying.

And I still don't know from where the AWD vs. 4wd comments came.

Reply to
Jeff

It's all grist for the mill.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

goodness, this post was almost helpful, except someone started having a fit about if a girl car is a truck or a manly 4wd. shut up ladies. also lets f ind a way to delete the canisters that get blocked as I called my dealer to day and 4-500 dollar quotes were tossed around quite liberally, and sadly I have 2 2005 fords that dont fill worth a damn.

Reply to
lucaskingkade

I just purchased one used and discovered that it has the same issue. Did you ever get it fixed?

Reply to
therockstarfishy

I fill at Costco. But I go to the left side and flip the nossle upside down and it wont shut off every 2 seconds.

Reply to
thielegolf2