BMW 525D Tourer - Help with diesel problems

Has anybody out there any information about fuel contamination. My car (3years and one month old with 50,000 miles on the clock) broke down with the dashboard indicator showing "Fuel injector". The local BMW dealer said it was caused by contaminated fuel (white spirit he believed from the smell). I had the diesel analysed and all was in order except that the sample contained "a significant quantity of free water". The dealer, nevertheless, wants to replace the whole fuel system from tank onwards, at a cost to me of £6,000. I have no idea how water could have got in - the garage where I bought the fuel from deny liability and anyway the car ran perfectly for over 400 miles on that last tankful before breakdown. (And obviously I can't prove that it was the last fill - nobody else drives or could have had access to the car). Has anybody experienced a similar problem? Do they really need to replace everything? If so is the cost reasonable? Have I any other course of action? Any comments would be gratefully received. PS the sample was not taken under laboratory conditions - the garage merely siphoned some of into an open jar and kept it on the garage floor for 4 days before pouring it into my cleaned, sealable jar.

Reply to
perict

Had a similar problem with my 518iSE - although in my case the engine started to misfire within half a mile from the fill up. I had it towed to my local dealer who confirmed that there was a significant amount of water in the fuel. I immediately wrote to the Petrol Company (Esso) with the dealers report and the petrol receipt. They immediately settled for the cost of the garage work and tankful of petrol. The dealer flushed the system and pronounced it fit, which it was.

Speaking to the Esso station staff subsequently they had to have the 4 star premium tank emptied and cleaned due to water contamination .... Esso themselves admitted no liability.

Geoff

Reply to
GBH

Hi,

Water in Diesel fuel is a common problem and all that is typically needed is to drain the fuel tank, replace fuel filters, and purge the fuel lines. Water may still be in the injectors so dont be surprised if you have to crank the engine alot. Crank no longer than 30 seconds followed by 1 minute of starter cool-down, repeat until it starts.

6k pounds is way too much money to do what the dealer/stealer says is needed. In fact I think it is totally un-needed! Go and talk to the boys down at a local truck/lorrie shop, I bet they will agree with me.

Hunch- I bet if you changed the fuel filter you would be back on the road again. I find it hard to believe water made it past the filter (not impossible). I used to install water seperators on diesels because water *is* an issue diesel drivers have to deal with. Also I use the following product exclusively and regularly -

Dont get screwed, use common sense. There are crooks out there who want to make money off of the unknowing. 6k!!! My gott man, thats insane! Should cost no more than 200-300 to flush your fuel system.

Cheers, Blake

Reply to
Blake Dodson

Now I'm not sure, but don't modern day diesels employ electronic injectors and common rail high pressure systems?

These may be a deal different from truck types.

However, I'm amazed it would all want replacing because of some water - which is common enough anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

my dad had a pug 405 1.7 TD back in 1990 that had a manual prime pump to clear any water in the fuel lines.

never had to use it mind.

Reply to
Dotcom Computers