E34 Metric Tyre Size!

Fellow finatics,
I bought a 1996 E34 around 12 months ago and for the last three months I have been looking for affordable tyres. The tyre size I need is
230/55 R390. The cheapest I have been quoted is 175 per tyre!!!! (Dunlop Only!)
Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so do you know where I could pick these tyres up at a reasonable price? I have considered changing the wheels, but I do like the deep dish old style rims.
Please advise!

Just ditch the metric wheels and buy a set of imperial tyres/wheels. You could always buy a set of used genuine BMW wheels from a breakers yard and fit new tyres?
JB

Agreed. 16" with 225/55/16 is the best combination.
John Burns wrote:

Well, sort of. I have been thinking of going to 16" wheels and tires for my E34, but the selection of tires at 16" is going the way of 14" and 15". ..becoming less available on better compounds.
-Fred W

and
I'm not sure that is entirely true. I have to suggest that a 17 might be the better choice since new rims have to be purchased anyway.
Here's a link to a site that shows all of the available wheel options, and if one is scouring eBay for new rims, I think I'd make the switch to 17s and skip the 16s.
http://www.kalach.easynet.be/bmw_wheels.htm
PS I hope the guy that put this page together doesn't mind me sharing the URL.

17s can make an E34 handle and tramline quite badly. Especially if it's got 100k miles on it's suspension bushings!

the
I've heard that complaint before. I have 220,000 miles on my car, and 115,000 since I bought it, and the bushings have not been replaced while I have owned the car. I added 17" rims about 8 months ago, and I haven't noticed that the car follows grooves on the road any differently than it did before. I suppose that I live in the most perfect place on Earth though, and the fact that I do not expereince the same things as the rest of you should be taken into consideration.
Jeff Strickland wrote:

But you don't have an *E34*, right? The front suspension and steering on the E34 is more susceptible to this kind of thing than our E36's. I know... I have both.

be
did
and
should
Nope, I don't have the E34.

The previous owner also liked the older E28 wheels, it seems! As others have said, your best bet is to get new wheels - that will allow you to get modern tires that out-perform the old TRX tires.
Floyd
wrote

Out-perform, and are much cheaper ...

These are TRX. I thought only Michelin (expensive) or Avon (cheaper, but still a lot more than imperial) made them.
Their main advantage is their stability after puncture, but I have never heard of an accident arising from a failure on other tyres in this class.
I believe michelin and dunlop only dealt in these metric sizes, the early austin metro's had a similar problem when they indroduced the 190/65/315, originaly only available from michelin or dunlop, and a few years later a budget brand was available, but still silly money compared to the more common imperial tyres. good advice, ditch the rims and get some imperial ones.

what e34 came with these wierd wheels? are they not 15", 16" or 17" x 7" or 8" wide?

I had 3 735i's and they all had 225/55 R390's on TRX wheels.
IIRC this was standard fit in the 80's (in EU).
I don't know whether Dunlop ever made them, but Michelin certainly did (I even still have some old covers as buffers in my garage, and so did Avon, because I bought two before I sold the last 735. (Avons were about half the price of Michelin).
If you buy new rims on eBay, you should be able to find suitable tires in the range of $125 (USD), or maybe a bit cheaper if you really scour the ad pages.

http://www.autoforumz.com/BMW-E34-Metric-Tyre-Size-ftopict124483.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p `6047