E34 540i sticky brake pedal

1994 540i automatic. Brake pedal sticks when pressed, thus leaving the brake lights on. I can pull it back up with my foot and the lights go out. Even though pedal sticks, it doesn't feel as if the brakes themselves are sticking.

Is this a simple thing like needing to lube the brake pedal mechanism, or something else? Thoughts? Thanks.

Reply to
sfred

Is the car left or right hand drive? If it's a right hand drive car I might know why......

Reply to
John Burns

Beat me to it by an hour! I had this same problem on my RHD E28. The damn things are designed as LHD and the master cylinder is also on the lefthand side of the engine bay. It's 'remotely' operated by a linkage rod running across the bulkhead from the pdel on the right side of the vehicle. The pivots for this rod often get overlooked when it comes to lubrication maintenance. A few drop od oil and all will be well. Of course if it is a LHD vehicle, all bets are off.

JB

Reply to
JB

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@unixnerd.demon.co.uk...>> 1994540iautomatic. Brake pedal sticks when pressed, thus leaving the

Reply to
sfred

sounds to me like you have a sticking caliper. Also check the condition of your master cylinder, may be time for a rebuild/ replacement.

Reply to
greg1120

There ought to be a rather substantial spring that returns the pedal to the top when you remove your foot.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, everyone.

Turns out it wasn't the master cyl> >

caliper. Also check the

Reply to
sfred